Web browser based terminal (Shellinabox) unMenu package

Well, I have been working on this for a little while on the side, and I believe I have it working now.

So what is Shellinabox... It is a terminal service that can be run through a web browser.  I have heard a lot of new users ask about "What is telnet?", "How do I use it?"

I understand that unMenu still has to be installed for this to work, but after that this package can be installed and setup and a Terminal will never have to be touched again.

I have not extensively tested shellinabox to see if there is anything it can not do, but from my testing during package creation and setup has not shown any as of yet.

If you have any questions please post them here.

EDIT: 9-28-2011

I ran into an issue in the way I was starting shellinabox using the "at" command and the current package(s) I am working on.  This new change will hopefully fix that issue.

shellinabox-unmenu-package.conf

Well, I have been working on this for a little while on the side, and I believe I have it working now.

So what is Shellinabox... It is a terminal service that can be run through a web browser.  I have heard a lot of new users ask about "What is telnet?", "How do I use it?"

I understand that unMenu still has to be installed for this to work, but after that this package can be installed and setup and a Terminal will never have to be touched again.

I have not extensively tested shellinabox to see if there is anything it can not do, but from my testing during package creation and setup has not shown any as of yet.

I've not tried installing it, but I believe I can detect its lineage based on this line in the .conf file:

you can stop transmission by invoking

I've not tried installing it, but I believe I can detect its lineage based on this line in the .conf file:

you can stop transmission by invoking

You downloaded before I fixed that... darn your fast.  Anyway, the newest one uploaded has text fixed.  I had copied and pasted the above text there and missed that one spot.

This addon is working great! Thank you very much! Screen works and MC is displayed properly. When using MC in putty, I get the character â all over instead of line borders.

I installed this but I get this message after it is installed:

"Installed, but version is different.

Current version='command' expected '2.10'"

This addon is working great! Thank you very much! Screen works and MC is displayed properly. When using MC in putty, I get the character â all over instead of line borders.

Thanks for the heads up, I have corrected that and the new version should fix it, please download it and let me know.

This is very cool.  

It works well on one of my PC's with Chrome browser.  

However, on my Windows 7 PC with IE9 I don't get linefeeds.  Everything happens on the top line.  Do you have any suggestions as to how I can fix this.

FIXED - Must enable 'Compatbility View' for IE9 to render the page correctly.  This option is available under the Tools menu.

Also, is there any control over the forground and backround colors?

Thanks for the heads up, I have corrected that and the new version should fix it, please download it and let me know.

Thanks for the fix. It is working now.

It's customary to include the slackbuild script inside the package so others can rebuild it.

I.E.

# Documentation

mkdir -p $PKG/usr/doc/$APP-$VERSION || exit 1

cp $CWD/$APP.SlackBuild $PKG/usr/doc/$APP-$VERSION/$APP.SlackBuild

find $PKG/usr/doc/$APP-$VERSION -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

to yield.

usr/doc/shellinabox-2.10/shellinabox.SlackBuild

It's customary to include the slackbuild script inside the package so others can rebuild it.

I.E.

# Documentation

mkdir -p $PKG/usr/doc/$APP-$VERSION || exit 1

cp $CWD/$APP.SlackBuild $PKG/usr/doc/$APP-$VERSION/$APP.SlackBuild

find $PKG/usr/doc/$APP-$VERSION -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

to yield.

usr/doc/shellinabox-2.10/shellinabox.SlackBuild

Thanks for the heads up.  I will see what I can do.  I am very new to building Slackware packages so this was my first attempt.  I will know from now on.

Maybe a stupid question? :-[  how do i start / import this *.conf file to get it to work?

I copied it to my /packages directory, i can acces it in unmenu (config/view edit)

If you put it in the packages directory, go to the Package-Manager link in unMENU and you will see it in the list of available packages to install.  (they are not alphabetical, but it is near the end of the list)

don't edit it directly in the config view/edit.  There is no need. Use the package-manager to install it.

Joe L.

• 2 months later...

Wow I just tried it. I love how you can even cut/paste and even use Tab Complete.

Thats awesome man. I'm going to have to start a new folder in my browser of favorites just for my unRAID machine so I can remember which port is which. LOL

Web Front end

unMENU

Subsonic

Personal Webserver

Shellinabox

Wow I just tried it. I love how you can even cut/paste and even use Tab Complete.

Thats awesome man. I'm going to have to start a new folder in my browser of favorites just for my unRAID machine so I can remember which port is which. LOL

Web Front end

unMENU

Subsonic

Personal Webserver

Shellinabox

Yeah, I found it and proceeded to try and figure out how to get it into unRAID.  I love it and have it installed on my machine.  Makes it so I don't have to open a terminal/putty app and telnet in.

Thank you for the ability to change the port. I have a habit of changing every port if possible to keep others from well using my tools against me. ;)

I really like how it displays everything in different colors so You don't have to guess what a folder, file or executable is.

I haven't tried it on my iPad since my machine and iPad are at home, but it would so keep me from having to find a decent Telnet/SSH client if I could simply use http........ Man I'm excited all over again. LOL

• 11 months later...