Loaded Question I dont trust Unraids disabling of my disks

MrBrac

If you remove parity then nothing will be disabled.

Unraid disables a disk when a write to it fails. The failed write, and any subsequent writes to the disabled disk, are emulated by updating parity. Those emulated writes can be recovered by rebuilding. The disk itself is no longer in sync with parity since it has missed all those writes.

You need to fix the reason your disk is getting disabled.

Attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread if you want help with that.

I believe the issue is the motherboard and the problem is I just can not address it that this moment. The eth0 died on mobo and I had put sata card on slot 2 and it gave lots of errors. It just all seem strange. I also tried different wires and different sas cards.

Also I told Unraid not to use the disk so how did writes get on it?

On 1/12/2023 at 4:14 PM, trurl said:

How exactly did you tell it to not use the disk?

When replacing files, the replacement file will go to the drive that already has the file, regardless of other settings.

exclusion on shares.

On 1/12/2023 at 4:20 PM, Frank1940 said:

Another potential candidate would be the power supply...

Well my mobo eth0 died and errors where on port 2 .

On 1/12/2023 at 4:14 PM, trurl said:

When replacing files, the replacement file will go to the drive that already has the file, regardless of other settings.

Also, reading a share includes all disks with files for the share regardless of include setting. If a disk has problems with reading, Unraid can try to get its data from the parity calculation and try to write it back to the disk. If that write fails the disk is disabled.

This might even happen when just doing a parity check, since all disks are read.

If a disk is getting disabled in the parity array

On 1/10/2023 at 7:27 PM, trurl said:

You need to fix the reason your disk is getting disabled.

Connection problems are much more common than bad disks.

If it has problems, even if not currently disabled, it could affect ability to rebuild other disks from parity.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:57 PM, MrBrac said:

live on the dangerous side of life

If you don't care about rebuilding anything

On 1/10/2023 at 7:26 PM, JonathanM said:

Remove parity, no more disabled disks.

10 hours ago, trurl said:

Also, reading a share includes all disks with files for the share regardless of include setting. If a disk has problems with reading, Unraid can try to get its data from the parity calculation and try to write it back to the disk. If that write fails the disk is disabled.

This might even happen when just doing a parity check, since all disks are read.

If a disk is getting disabled in the parity array

Connection problems are much more common than bad disks.

If it has problems, even if not currently disabled, it could affect ability to rebuild other disks from parity.

If you don't care about rebuilding anything

what do you think when I put my sas card in slot 2 of my mobo it got 8,000 errors like nuts on all disks. It was very odd.