Disk4 started showing read errors

DIsk4 (4TB) in my array has started showing reads errors and I have started moving the data off to another drive that has space so I can replace it with a 12TB drive.

Just want to know whether the drive is ready to be trashed or can it still safely be used but not in my array? Smart report attached
WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0_WD-WCC4E1DNXP34-20230112-1817.txt

Could this be re-used for another purpose such as a bitcoin node?

Removed from UD and formatted, assigned disk and started array. Rebuilding has started but confused because there shouldn't be anything on disk4 as I moved everything off before removing from array.

Can't remember if this is normal.

Server: Notice [sERVER] - Disk 4, is being reconstructed and is available for normal operation
WDC_WD120EDAZ-11F3RA0_2AHLUH3Y (sdp)

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, bally12345 said:

Removed from UD and formatted, assigned disk and started array. Rebuilding has started but confused because there shouldn't be anything on disk4 as I moved everything off before removing from array.

Can't remember if this is normal.

Parity has no concept of files - just of disk sectors.    It therefore does not know that there are no files so will rebuild the sectors it thinks should be there - even if they correspond to an empty file system.

Parity has no concept of files - just of disk sectors.    It therefore does not know that there are no files so will rebuild the sectors it thinks should be there - even if they correspond to an empty file system.
No problem, that's fine as the files are backed up on another disk just incase. Will wait for rebuild to complete.

Thanks

The replacement 12tb for disk4 got to 90.3% and errored sad.png

Unraid Disk 4 error: 15-01-2023 21:05

Alert [sERVER] - Disk 4 in error state (disk dsbl)
WDC_WD120EDAZ-11F3RA0_2AHLUH3Y (sdp)

This is a brand new drive... Guessing RMA is in order? The disk has been disabled what should I do next.?

On 1/12/2023 at 1:23 PM, bally12345 said:

moving the data off to another drive that has space so I can replace it with a 12TB drive.

Not really recommended. If the disk needs to be replaced, just replace and rebuild. And if the disk is already disabled, moving data to other array disks just makes all disks work harder since all disks are needed to emulate a disabled disk, and if you only have single parity there is no protection while you are making them work harder. Also better if you don't alter contents of the original (or even the emulated) disk, and move is actually removing its files.

If you really feel the need to backup files from a failing disk before attempting rebuild, the best idea would be to copy (not move) them somewhere off the array.

1 hour ago, bally12345 said:

The disk has been disabled what should I do next.?

attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.

On 1/14/2023 at 10:45 AM, bally12345 said:

Removed from UD and formatted

Always makes me nervous when someone talks about formatting in a thread where they are replacing disks, but if you formatted before assigning the disk, it was pointless but harmless. Just out of curiosity, what filesystem did you format it to? Doesn't matter since the entire disk is overwritten by rebuild, doesn't matter if it has been formatted to an empty filesystem, cleared, completely full of pron, whatever.

Reseated all the connections and took all the caddies out and put them back.

Seeing as I already moved files off disk4. I might as well set that to no disk and assign it to dual parity. Then I will have 2x12tb disks for parity.

When it comes to replacing another 4tb disk in future i will add another 12tb drive.

Anything I need to know before doing this other than I reduce my array size?

7 minutes ago, bally12345 said:

Remove original disk.

Start array.

Stop array.

Assign disk to parity

Start array?

That will not work as Unraid will still think you have a drive in the position of the 'removed' drive.

The process to follow is documented here in the online documentation.

44 minutes ago, itimpi said:

That will not work as Unraid will still think you have a drive in the position of the 'removed' drive.

The process to follow is documented here in the online documentation.

Thanks that's all started

Unraid Parity disk message: 16-01-2023 16:04
Notice [SERVER] - Parity disk, parity-sync in progress
WDC_WD120EFAX-68UNTN0_8CKD5M3E (sdf)

Unraid Parity 2 message: 16-01-2023 16:04
Notice [SERVER] - Parity 2, is being reconstructed and is available for normal operation
WDC_WD120EDAZ-11F3RA0_2AHLUH3Y (sdl)

Unraid Parity-Sync: 16-01-2023 16:04
Notice [SERVER] - Parity-Sync started
Size: 12.0 TB

As im out of drive bays I will next swap another 4tb drive with another 12tb but glad I know have dual parity or will have once this has completed :D

Just got worrying notification!

Unraid Parity 2 error: 16-01-2023 21:11

Alert [sERVER] - Parity 2 in error state (disk dsbl)
WDC_WD120EDAZ-11F3RA0_2AHLUH3Y (sdl)

This is the same 12tb disk which was assigned as disk4 and moved to different bay.

I think it is best to remove to disk. Go back to 1 parity. Disk4 has already been removed.

What should I do?

Stop parity
Stop array
Remove parity 2
Create new config (preserve all)
Start array
Start parity rebuild with the original parity drive?server-diagnostics-20230116-2113.zip

Run extended SMART self-test on parity2 (Q).

You can unassign parity2 (Q) from the array if you want. Parity (P) is still valid no need to rebuild it.
Should I cancel parity as it says its still running before running extended smart?

Also hdd from wd my book wouldn't be an issue? Never had issue with shucked drives before.

4 minutes ago, bally12345 said:

Should I cancel parity as it says its still running before running extended smart?

Sorry didn't realize parity build hadn't completed. Let it complete then worry about parity2 disk

Parity2 isn't seen in diagnostics so you won't be able to do anything with it until you can get it to connect.

After parity build is complete, shutdown, try to fix connection to parity2, see if it is detected in BIOS.

• Thanks 1