6.11.5 Unable to connect to share on any OS/device

Go to solution Solved by conermurphy,

2 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I missed one thing:  The hardware spec states that the boot drive should be 32Gb or smaller.t.

I do remember seeing something about this I have to admit but while shopping for a decent USB to put Unraid on I could only get a 64Gb one same day so went with that. Other than this issue with shares it has been rock solid stability and performance wise. But, if need be and it comes to it I can always get a new one.

Out of curiosity, if I was to move Unraid to a new USB what would I lose data/configuration wise? Would I have to reconfigure the Array as well as plugins, docker containers, etc?

Also, I'm sure it's a drastic solution but could a fresh install of Unraid fix the issue possibly? But, I presume I would need to reformat the drives in the Array for them to work with that?

51 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I missed one thing:  The hardware spec states that the boot drive should be 32Gb or smaller.  However, I believe there is small wiggle room on this requirement but I don't recall what conditions have to met

Technically the size is not critical as long as the drive is formatted as FAT32.    The reason that size is quoted as the maximum to be used is that Windows will not format a drive larger than 32GB to FAT32 (not sure about MacOS).   Also since Unraid only needs about 2GB on the drive to run successfully larger drives are just a waste of resources.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, conermurphy said:

Also, I'm sure it's a drastic solution but could a fresh install of Unraid fix the issue possibly? But, I presume I would need to reformat the drives in the Array for them to work with that?

Get printouts of the    Main    Shares      Plugins     Docker   tabs and any of the settings pages for these if you changed them from the defaults.  Also on the Settings tab, I would get the    Network settings    Notification Settings (if applicable)   Scheduler (if applicable).  This would make it very easy to setup a new server from scratch and you won't lose any data currently on the array.  (It is a good idea to have these in any case.  The Murphy's Law applies in all cases where having backup documentation of current configuration means that you will never need it!   😏)

Edited by Frank1940
9 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Get printouts of the    Main    Shares      Plugins     Docker   tabs and any of the settings pages for these if you changed them from the defaults.  Also on the Settings tab, I would get the    Network settings    Notification Settings (if applicable)   Scheduler (if applicable).  This would make it very easy to setup a new server from scratch and you won't lose any data currently on the array.  (It is a good idea to have these in any case.  The Murphy's Law applies in all cases where having backup documentation of current configuration means that you will never need it!   😏)

I'll get these done anyway as a backup and hope I never need them as you say. Out of curiosity, how come you'd lose no data currently on the array? I presumed if you did a fresh install of Unraid it would need to wipe the drives again to reconfigure the array? Or, can Unraid detect a previous installation of it and pick up where the old one left off without needing to format anything providing it is configured the same?

Anyway, I'll wait for @limetech and @jonp to weigh in on the post before doing any drastic like a fresh install.

3 hours ago, conermurphy said:

I presumed if you did a fresh install of Unraid it would need to wipe the drives again to reconfigure the array? Or, can Unraid detect a previous installation of it and pick up where the old one left off without needing to format anything providing it is configured the same?

Unraid can detect drives that have been previously formatted by Unraid as described here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

53 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Unraid can detect drives that have been previously formatted by Unraid as described here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

Ah okay, that's good then. I did also find this page which seemed to cover it all as well. But, hopefully it doesn't come to doing a fresh install.