Unraid v 6.11.5 Sync errors on Parity Check after ReiserFS to xfs conversion

dtyree
Go to solution Solved by dtyree,

I got finished with a series of (3) drive conversions from ReiserFS to xfs several days ago. 

I did a bit of musical chairs with drives and also used this opportunity to replace one of ReiserFS drives with a larger one to get all this done. 

All this was done using the documentation I found here in the forums. Many thanks for the well written docs.

No problems with the conversions, essentially it was parity check, rsync, parity check, and move drives around as needed. 5-6 days total per drive or so. I understand the second parity check for each drive conversion wasn't needed but I did it anyway. And i wasn't in a hurry. All parity runs were clean. 

I had (3) 6TB drives with ReiserFS (plus other xfs drives). Bought an 8tb drive. Did the first conversion going from 6TB to the new 8TB. Took that pulled 6TB, cleared it and then converted/changed out the second 6TB. Rinse and repeat for the third drive. 

The final 6TB drive is sitting on the shelf as a spare. 

All was fine until I started an additional parity check to finish up everything and button it up. It started spewing millions of sync errors on the new 8TB drive. I had several clean parity checks with this new drive installed before this one final pass. 

I stopped, shutdown, checked all cabling, ran extended SMART on all drives and they are clean. 

Did the filesystem check on the suspect drive but the pass with -n didn't show anything. 

restarted parity check yesterday and the sync errors are back on the same new 8TB drive.

8 million and some change errors corrected so far but no change in the count for 3-4 hours. 

the current parity check run is 19 hours into a probable 26 hour run. 

Looked around on the forums but I'm not really seeing a clear consensus on the next steps.  

any suggestions on my next steps? 

FYI, I've been using Unraid for about 10 years. On my third hardware build right now. 

Love the product!!