Best way to run unRAID?

paqman

I am brand new to unRAID, and trying to research the best way to run it in my environment.  I am running a personal file server/plex server on Ubuntu.  I have a bunch of disparate disks that I would like to consolidate into an unRAID array if possible. I understand the basics of how unRAID works, and am planning on purchasing a very large disk to start out as my parity disk.  I'm assuming I don't need a dedicated unRAID server to run unRAID?  Can I run it as a service on my Ubuntu server?  I also am running some docker containers, would it be easier to just run it in a docker container?  Just looking for some advice as to the best way to run it.  I'd prefer not to set up a separate dedicated piece of hardware for this if possible.  Thanks in advance for any ideas/advice!

46 minutes ago, trurl said:

Unraid is a NAS OS that can host dockers and VMs. While it is possible to run Unraid as a VM, that configuration isn't officially supported.

Ah I see, that is good to know. That changes things a bit. Now I need to do some thinking. I mean technically since it can run docker I could rebuild my server as an unRaid server and then just run my docker containers from inside there. But I do have other customizations and things running that I would need to think about as well. Thanks for that info. 

12 minutes ago, trurl said:

USB connections are not recommended for array or pool disks for many reasons so NAS functionality would be limited or problematic.

Ha yeah after sleeping in it I decided against it for that reason. Trying to scrounge up an x86 pc to test on. 

I've found an old poweredge server that I'm going to build my test box on.  Is there a limit to the smallest hard drives we can use in unRAID?  I've got access to a bunch of 256GB and 512GB hard drives.  Could I use those in my test box, or do they need to be bigger?  If my parity drive was 512GB, could I use a bunch of other 512 and 256GB drives in my array?