AOC-SAT2-MV8 with 3TB Drives?

There's NO doubt that 4TB (or 5TB, or 6TB, etc.) drives will work with the controllers ... even though the controllers themselves will not report the size correctly, since their firmware doesn't support drives > 2TB.

But clearly the are passing all the address lines through, which is why UnRAID sees the drives correctly, and will do so with any size drive you're likely to see anytime "soon" [i.e. in our lifetimes  :) ]    Note that the next addressing limit is at [2^(64) - 1] sectors ... or 8ZB (Zettabytes).    A Zettabyte is 1,000,000,000 TB  :)    ... so we have a ways to go before you have to worry about addressing issues for disk drives !!    There are, however, likely somewhat lower thresholds in the Linux disk routines  :)

Confirming:

MB: Supermicro X7SBE

SATA card: Supermicro AOC SAT2-MV8

Drives:

3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300

3TB Seagate ST2000DM001

4TB NAS Seagate ST4000VN000

4TB green Seagate ST4000DM000

4TB green Western Digital WD40EZRX

All these drives are reported, at boot time, by the SAT2-MV8 as having 2TB capacity.

However, unRAID, preclear script, samba, etc.,  - all see the drives correctly, parity check works, everything works. It's just the boot time report screwed up.

Very nice combo the X7SBE and AOC-SAT2-MV8 is...

Yep... Stable as rock, compatible with everything, and cheap... if you don't mind buying them used, of course :D Retail prices could still scare the poop out of anybody.

The only complaint I have is not being able to control fan speed from within unRAID scripts and also not being able to go into sleep/suspend like newer Supermicro boards.

Interesting info, thanks... I just started unraiding few month ago, still doing ripping/transferring, but was thinking about fans control...

I have two (well, one-and-a-quarter rather, one is "production" and another one is for tests so far) similar servers in NORCO RPC-4020 cases. The original fans (6x80mm), shipped with the case, move a lot of air, but they are unbearably loud.

I replaced them (in one case) with 2x80mm Silenx IXP5211 iXtrema Pro and 3x120mm Enermax Marathon UC-12EB. It turned out to be a big overshot, now I have the opposite: those fans are  really quiet, but they don't pull enough air. With 21 drives in the case, during parity check the drives temperature goes about 23-25 degrees Celsius above the ambient. And the hot Texas summer is coming...

So I researched, researched, researched... and ordered 2xNoctua NF-R8 PWM for back, 3xNoctua NF-S12A PWM for inside fan wall, and one BitFenix Spectre Pro 230mm Case Fan BFF-SPRO-23030WW-RP. The Noctua PWM fans will be controlled by the motherboard, and the 230mm BitFenix, which brags to be moving 156 CFM with only 26 dBA of noise, will be thru top cover of the case, running full speed continuously.

Can't wait for them all to arrive and start drilling and cutting and to see how it'll work :D

Unraiding is a form of obscession...  ;D

I have swapped the original Norco fan midplane against one professionally done for 3x 120mm fans and installed three DELTA AFC1212DE-PWM fans. Those DELTA fans are like turbines and pull a lot of power but it is not a problem connecting all three of them directly to the fan headers on the X7SBE.

The PWM fan speed is not software controllable on the X7SBE. It is controlled by the BIOS only. The problem with this is that the BIOS doesn't know how hot the drives are running (temp sensor on the mobo far away from the drives). The good news is that using the DELTA AFC1212DE-PWM you won't have to worry about cooling a full case of hot running and fast drives even in Texas.

I have swapped the original Norco fan midplane against one professionally done for 3x 120mm fans

That I did, too.

and installed three DELTA AFC1212DE-PWM fans. Those DELTA fans are like turbines and pull a lot of power but it is not a problem connecting all three of them directly to the fan headers on the X7SBE.

(looking at the specs) Yeah... 38mm thick, which already tells, 3900 rpm, which tells even more... and 190 CFM  :o and 51 dBA  >:( some of the most powerful server fans I've seen. Unfortunately, too loud for me to use, even on the midplane inside the case.

The PWM fan speed is not software controllable on the X7SBE. It is controlled by the BIOS only. The problem with this is that the BIOS doesn't know how hot the drives are running (temp sensor on the mobo far away from the drives).

Right, that's what I was reading too. My idea is that with constant air circulation inside the case, the mobo temperature sensor will be not too far behind the drives temperature. And constantly running thru case cover the 230mm BitFenix will provide air circulation even if BIOS decides to stop the mobo-controlled PWM fans completely (if it's even possible) .

If this setup wouldn't work as I expect, I'll have an option to run the two back-wall fans full-speed continuously to provide circulation, they should be quiet enough, being Noctua. And a lot of other options, like a standalone fans controller, for example  :D