Fix to a small issue with updating OCI docker images

19 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Fix Common Problems notified me about this and I just want to be 100% sure I'm safe to IGNORE WARNING if I don't have any "Not Available" messages on my dockers?

Thanks.

Same Q here but I went ahead and installed it anyway. I can report that the update check succeeded before installing the plugin, but after installing it just the same. So my careful, relative layman's guess is it can't hurt.

21 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Fix Common Problems notified me about this and I just want to be 100% sure I'm safe to IGNORE WARNING if I don't have any "Not Available" messages on my dockers?

Thanks.

Yes.  But the number of containers being built that will trigger this is becoming more prevalent all the time

Not sure why this started appearing in my Fix Common Problems, but all my Dockers have the "up-to-date" with green checkmark so am I okay to just ignore this "problem" in Fix Common Problems?

If so, why doesn't the Fix Common Problems check it any of the Dockers say "Not Available" before worrying users that their servers have problems and prompting them to install extra plugins?

• 2 weeks later...

Has this "Docker update" app been updated to include older versions of Unraid yet?Last I looked for it the app doesn't show up on a search. I'm running 6.10.3 and my AdguardHome docker is doing this "not available" thing for the update status. if not how do you do this line fix and not have to do it every time the server is restarted? How do you do this SSH, I'm a user not a developer, I had to use Youtube to get what I have installed and working.

Edit: is there a way to do this in the docker settings area so that it persists through restarts?

Edited by Eugene D
On 3/9/2023 at 4:27 PM, avispa said:

anybody having issues updating LSIO sonarr container? I installed the patch plugin but it is still giving me the error.

Yup.  Mine is showing "not available", as well as my Prometheus.  I am very reluctantly going to try changing the DNS server unRAID uses as a test.

1 hour ago, Mat W said:

Yup.  Mine is showing "not available", as well as my Prometheus.  I am very reluctantly going to try changing the DNS server unRAID uses as a test.

Have you loaded the patch? Link pinned at the top.

Edited by SimonF
8 hours ago, Eugene D said:

Has this "Docker update" app been updated to include older versions of Unraid yet?Last I looked for it the app doesn't show up on a search. I'm running 6.10.3 and my AdguardHome docker is doing this "not available" thing for the update status. if not how do you do this line fix and not have to do it every time the server is restarted? How do you do this SSH, I'm a user not a developer, I had to use Youtube to get what I have installed and working.

Edit: is there a way to do this in the docker settings area so that it persists through restarts?

Nope 6.11.x only  I have no way (nor the inclination) to set up another test server to run a very outdated version of the OS.  Use the method of the manual patch, or simply Force Updates on the containers.

4 hours ago, Squid said:

Nope 6.11.x only  I have no way (nor the inclination) to set up another test server to run a very outdated version of the OS.  Use the method of the manual patch, or simply Force Updates on the containers.

okaaayyyy, That leads me to ask how, I guess I'll have to go through a bunch of Youtube videos to figure it out. I have no clue how to use "ssh" I just know it's the "terminal window" from the ">_" icon in the top right. and as for the force update, again i'll have to try and look up how, I don't see an option of "Force update" in the drop down menu. The reason I did unraid was for set and forget, not to have to figure out how to fix something that WAS working. (Kinda like the known vnc issue that I now have to use private/incognito windows to view my VMs in since updating from 6.9.2.)

edit, I know your just a person doing fixes, so my rant wasn't aimed at you, but to the group that broke stuff in the first place.

Edited by Eugene D

2 hours ago, Eugene D said:

The reason I did unraid was for set and forget

edit, I know your just a person doing fixes, so my rant wasn't aimed at you, but to the group that broke stuff in the first place.

Things keep changing in the tech world, so keeping up with updates is basically a requirement. There is no such thing as "set and forget".

Edited by Kilrah

I don't see an option of "Force update"

Docker Tab, top right, advanced view

My problem is that sure I could've set the patch to work with Unraid 6.0+ (or more realistically 6.8+)  But, if things went sideways and/or it didn't actually work on those versions then I'd have to actually go and install / set up that particular version and adjust accordingly.  Basically though, you want to add in the applicable command to the "go" script (/config/go on the flash drive) to handle the adjustments if/when you reboot.

But, you're better off updating as any script that you have adjusting base OS files might actually cause problems if / when you update to an OS version that already has the fixes in place.  This is the reasoning behind the script and the codicil of "Highly advised NOT to run a script..."

Devil's advocate in me though has to question the rationale behind the OS is a set it and forget it, but you're updating the containers because of new features, security enhancements etc...

I think the “set it and forget it” here is when you configure everything to work as you need, normally, you can have the time for more important stuff in life than tweaking your server daily, like family etc. like I had in the past years with Unraid. Nowadays, with nothing has changed from my side, even with the patch applied, “not available” appears in docker and in plug-ins side every second day, and sometimes it is not enough to force update, a restart of OS or disable/enable docker service in settings has to be applied to come back to normal. Then, I have to open radarr, sonarr and manually test the indexers to be able to function again as it is. This is not for pointing fingers, just sharing my experience with Unraid at the moment. (6.11.5)

Edited by zsoltsuhajda
  • Like 1