Fix to a small issue with updating OCI docker images

It's not just "Unraid"... but every single service you use will evolve and change and you'll have to follow and tweak things once in a while, obviously the more you run the more involved it is.

Having your own server and a bunch of apps comes with maintenance requirements, no way around it. That's the whole reason for "The Cloud™" and why paying someone else to (hopefully...) do all of that for you so you don't need to care about it is such a massive business nowadays.

Edited by Kilrah
21 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

every single service you use will evolve and change

Evolve means that the service is getting better and better right? If there is a reasonable and necessary tweak, that I shoul do, I do.

But here, I am talking about what additional steps, I should do every second day, just to get normal usage of my really simple server.   

21 minutes ago, zsoltsuhajda said:

Evolve means that the service is getting better and better right?

Usually, but sometimes stuff also gets removed, or changed for technical reasons that require changes downstream without providing "user improvements" or at least not directly, like Docker changing image format and that now having to be accounted for.

But as you can see the additional steps you mention having to do is not something that has been reported as a known problem in this thread, so there's likely something else going on with your setup. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the docker patch, and also went and manually changed the line in the file. However, for the last week or so, it's deciding to try and update my docker containers _every single day_. The updates have gone through correctly, from what I can tell, but unraid still thinks that they're all on an old version.

I have also had this the past two days and have the patch installed, even did a uninstall > reboot > install >reboot loop with the plugin in case it somehow needed a re-install

Curiously it appears the only containers having the issue (so far) for me is linuxserver containers, is this the case for anyone else? Could also be completely unrelated...

so I just fixed my issue, it was my fault due to incorrect network configuration, I had DNS servers listed as Ad Guard-Home running OISD Full, I believe this is not best practice with unraid (could be wrong) but to those that are having the issue try the following:
Turn off VM manager

Turn off Docker Manager

Change DNS settings under network configuration (try 1.1.1.1 ((Cloudflare)) or 8.8.8.8((google)))'

Turn both VM and Dockers back on.

Try updating.

Your Mileage may vary.

Edited by Cexitime
Solved my issue, wrote the answer.
17 hours ago, Cexitime said:

I have also had this the past two days and have the patch installed, even did a uninstall > reboot > install >reboot loop with the plugin in case it somehow needed a re-install

Curiously it appears the only containers having the issue (so far) for me is linuxserver containers, is this the case for anyone else? Could also be completely unrelated...

so I just fixed my issue, it was my fault due to incorrect network configuration, I had DNS servers listed as Ad Guard-Home running OISD Full, I believe this is not best practice with unraid (could be wrong) but to those that are having the issue try the following:
Turn off VM manager

Turn off Docker Manager

Change DNS settings under network configuration (try 1.1.1.1 ((Cloudflare)) or 8.8.8.8((google)))'

Turn both VM and Dockers back on.

Try updating.

Your Mileage may vary.

That did seem to work... but I honestly want the server to be pointing towards my pi-hole. This wasn't an issue before, only cropped up in the recent weeks.

7 hours ago, MrTyton said:

but I honestly want the server to be pointing towards my pi-hole

There is no reason to. You're not gonna be watching ads on the unraid server and your server shouldn't have anything that accesses places that have a reason to be blocked, but it's a common source of issues as you've seen though.

Obviously you can go through the trouble of whitelisting things but is it worth the hassle...

Edited by Kilrah
18 hours ago, Kilrah said:

There is no reason to. You're not gonna be watching ads on the unraid server and your server shouldn't have anything that accesses places that have a reason to be blocked

It is not always just about ads, I find pi-hole or similar (I personally use pfblockerng) also useful to protect against malware etc. Ideally a server "shouldn't" have anything nefarious, but all security related attacks succeed because something unknown that shouldn't happen actually happened. Unraid itself isn't focused on security, so it's prudent that it comes from outside it and the network / firewall infrastructure around it is a decent way to get there

Besides, if one is protecting their home network, it better be through a single pane of control than to worry about different devices having their own gateway to the big bad internet. For that reason alone, it's a bad practice to whitelist unraid from the rest specially if one is running a lot of stuff on it. At the very least, it gives one a good place to monitor and audit what is being connected to, you may be surprised

Edited by apandey
  • 2 weeks later...