[Support] borgserver

Balya

• 10 months later...

You must create the Key Pair from the Device that will Access to the Server.

For example the Client/PC make your Backup to the Borg Server Docker on Unraid.

You create the Key Pair on the Client and Copy the Public key to the Borg Server in the SSH Key Folder.

Than Reboot the Docker and he create a Folder with the Name of the SSH Key in the other Backup Folder.

Than you can Access/Backup your Client.

A Documentary for the Create is in the linked Thread. From mgutt. rsync-server.

The First is this Thread. The Second is the Thread from mgutt and his rsync-server with a Documentary for the Key Pair Creation.

Edited by Revan335
14 hours ago, Revan335 said:

You must create the Key Pair from the Device that will Access to the Server.

For example the Client/PC make your Backup to the Borg Server Docker on Unraid.

You create the Key Pair on the Client and Copy the Public key to the Borg Server in the SSH Key Folder.

Than Reboot the Docker and he create a Folder with the Name of the SSH Key in the other Backup Folder.

Than you can Access/Backup your Client.

A Documentary for the Create is in the linked Thread. From mgutt. rsync-server.

The First is this Thread. The Second is the Thread from mgutt and his rsync-server with a Documentary for the Key Pair Creation.

Hi, I copy key from my laptop (called matebook.pub) to /mnt/user/borg/sshkeys/clients/ and it still shows me that there's no key:

ERROR: No SSH-Pubkey file found in /sshkeys

image.thumb.png.f4299680f77a233e47bf7a5a652e57b9.png

I change owner like for /backup folder and also don't see that key.

image.thumb.png.9da938b771477c4a0118bdd17562d5ab.png

Regards.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the contribution, it's working fine! A bit of trouble at first with ssh keys in the script but nothing you can't fix with a couple of BORG variables 😄

Any plans for upgrade? borg version in the container is 1.1.16 and is unsupported. Could you upgrade to last stable 1.2.7?

Thanks

On 12/12/2023 at 11:48 AM, MarianKoniuszko said:

Hi, I copy key from my laptop (called matebook.pub) to /mnt/user/borg/sshkeys/clients/ and it still shows me that there's no key:

ERROR: No SSH-Pubkey file found in /sshkeys

image.thumb.png.f4299680f77a233e47bf7a5a652e57b9.png

I change owner like for /backup folder and also don't see that key.

image.thumb.png.9da938b771477c4a0118bdd17562d5ab.png

Regards.

I think the problem is your bind mount. You must remove the "clients" part and left only "/mnt/user/borg/sshkeys/". You must still put your keys in the clients folder but the container path must point to the parent.

2 hours ago, ChuskyX said:

Any plans for upgrade? borg version in the container is 1.1.16 and is unsupported. Could you upgrade to last stable 1.2.7?

😱 Your right. Strange, in the Docker Hub in the first Post are Posts Versions/Releases with 1.2.x Name/Tag.

For example https://hub.docker.com/layers/nold360/borgserver/1.2.2/images/sha256-b1eb29720204e61b925d64632bbd4ea4f0738c2b2c2154888d481d5b914ca683?context=explore

Is this correct or a wrong Name?

Maybe can @Balya bring Light in the Darkness?

Edited by Revan335
4 hours ago, Revan335 said:

😱 Your right. Strange, in the Docker Hub in the first Post are Posts Versions/Releases with 1.2.x Name/Tag.

For example https://hub.docker.com/layers/nold360/borgserver/1.2.2/images/sha256-b1eb29720204e61b925d64632bbd4ea4f0738c2b2c2154888d481d5b914ca683?context=explore

Is this correct or a wrong Name?

Maybe can @Balya bring Light in the Darkness?

I'm using the tag "latest" so it could be expected to have the last Borg version.

Thinking about it, Borg have a lot of compatility issues between versions, you need to convert repositories, change scripts, etc.. Maybe the latest tag points to the legacy version and only users aware of the implications of an upgrade, must use the 1.2 tag. Most users don't read the change logs prior upgrading containers and this might be needed to have reliable backups.

• 2 months later...

Hmm still can't get things to work

I ran the borgmatic (client) container, and loaded a console in the container

Then I created a ssh key pair

Then I copied the .pub file into borgserver container, and restarted borgserver container.

When I try to SSH into borgserver container from borgmatic container, I get the following error:

Permission denied (publickey)

Edited by kiwijunglist

that error means you are trying to use a ssh password. You have to setup borgmatic to use the key. The ssh parameter is "-i keyfile". I don't use borgmatic, so i don't know where to put it.

I run borg directly from command line, and I use the env variable BORG_RSH to put the key, something like export BORG_RSH=' -i path/to/keyfile'

Edited by ChuskyX

Thanks, I got it working.  I now have borgmatic docker connecting to borg-server docker.

This is the config.yaml I had to use for borgmatic docker.

source_directories:
    - /mnt/user/somethingtobackuplocation

repositories:
    - path: ssh://[email protected]:2222/backup/borg
      label: backupserver

ssh_command: ssh -i /root/.ssh/borg -p 2222

I am now trying to get vorta-docker to work... I keep geting "invalid user" error in the borg-server docker log file.

Edited by kiwijunglist

OMG I WANT ABOUT 4 HOURS OF MY LIFE BACK! 😞

Debian based container image, running openssh-daemon only accessable by user named "borg" using SSH-Publickey Auth & "borgbackup" as client.

So you can use different SSH key pairs for multiple repos, but the username for ssh connection is always called "borg".