[SOLVED]Yet ANOTHER...'Replacing Drives' Question

3 hours ago, JonathanM said:

I would set the drive to shared in Unassigned Devices and browse around with your PC, play some of the files, etc. See if it looks good beyond just showing the data is there.

I did this. As I've said, and as you can see; my files are movies, music...some TV shows.

I can't really watch movies on my PC (I mean, obviously I could; but I'm not set-up for it...don't really want to jump through that hoop, and what could I do anyway. Watch each 2 hour movie; see if it's complete?)

Instead...I looked at the music files. It was as I feared; some were entirely gone (folder was there, but empty or mostly empty; like cover art, but no tracks)...others missing tracks, others with corrupted tracks. I only looked at 5 or 6; but I got the message (the message being, there is some/substantial loss for sure; but I assume many more are entirely intact. I mean...the MUSIC dir, on that disk; is 8.9G).

I don't want to give up prematurely. If someone really thinks, we can get everything or mostly everything back; I guess I'm game...within reason. But at this point...I have kind of accepted putting the array together; and trying to identify quickly, what might have been lost...and seeing if I still have the means to recover.

For example...I might have had, 10 different copies of Dark Side of the Moon (different remasters; yes...I'm a bit, of what they call a completist). If I lost 3 of the 10; c'est la vie. The movies might be tougher. As I mentioned earlier; I'll likely only find about them...as I'm watching, and at the 55-minute mark...the file shuts down incomplete or corrupt.

Again...we've fought the good fight; and if there's more we could do...with a reasonable expectation for recovery. I guess I'd push forward. But...while these files are "important", they're not that important, if you know what I mean.

Edited by CDLehner
7 hours ago, CDLehner said:

if there's more we could do...with a reasonable expectation for recovery. I guess I'd push forward.

There is no urgency here, as long as you can afford to keep the source drive intact and unused, you can shelve the recovery for now and move on. Physically remove the source drive, and get us back up to date with which drives are in what state and we can help you move forward with getting the rest of the array converted.

^ Sounds good. OK...here's what I think we're doing.

This all started, when I had copied disk5 to disk4...was supposed to re-format disk5, and copy disk7 to disk5 (disk6 has already been copied to disk1). Instead...I accidentally re-formatted disk7.

So...first: I re-format disk5 to xfs? Then...I copy "7" to disk5; and so forth?

I say "7", because I'm not sure if I use 38RH, or 30RX. I mean...I assume 30RX, because 38RH is essentially "blank". But...38RH is the disk we'll "hold back", and maybe work on recovering long term??

unr22.thumb.jpg.8beaf2fa9b29d96f8a8c6efb6ff6c07c.jpg

Edited by CDLehner
43 minutes ago, CDLehner said:

re-format disk5 to xfs?

Assuming its contents have already been copied to another xfs disk. I've lost track without reviewing the thread.

43 minutes ago, CDLehner said:

copy "7"

Disk7 in your screenshot is not only empty, but also xfs, so why would you copy it?

If you want to hold disk7 38RH in addition to the disk you cloned and repaired unassigned 30RX, you will have to New Config to remove disk7 38RH from the array and rebuild parity.

The data you already recovered on the cloned disk unassigned 30RX you can evaluate later and copy it back to the array as needed. After you have finished the other conversions.

56 minutes ago, trurl said:

The data you already recovered on the cloned disk unassigned 30RX you can evaluate later and copy it back to the array as needed. After you have finished the other conversions.

Oh, I see. At first, I was like "how can I not be copying 30RX back into the array? Even if recovery was only partially successful...I want that partial data". And I stopped there...and didn't initially read the rest, lol.

So...get back up and running; and then we'll look at 30RX, and "manually" move back the "good" bits?

So I guess that means...format disk5 to xfs (yes, it's been copied); and just move disk8 to disk5.

Edited by CDLehner

As much a re-cap for myself, as everyone else at this point...

disk1 is a new drive

disk2 went to disk1

disk6 went to disk1

disk3 went to disk2

disk4 went to disk3

disk5 went to disk4

disk7 (38RH) is formatted xfs, and "blank"/disk7 (30RX) is reiserfs and is ck-recovered.

disk5 is getting formatted to xfs; and I will copy disk8 to disk5

unr22.thumb.jpg.96dfa85701e682cce54e79c07c993b8f.jpg

Hey trurl...I went to do my copy from disk8 to disk5, and my 'plan' threw up some of the Fix Common Problem errors I came across previously.

At that time...I think "we" decided, it was the least of our problems; considering. Do you think we should address them now...or still after this last disk copy?

No; I don't want to go back through the thread, or be contrarian. This thing has just turned into such a beast.

But I thought we concluded to hold off on the Docker Safe New Permission. or maybe there was a problem, and we decided to not worry about it for the time being.

I'll run it. I want to wait for direction...but I'm also tired of each little step, meaning waiting for hours to be told what to do.

Edited by CDLehner
5 minutes ago, trurl said:

We are all unpaid volunteers with other users to help and other things in our life.

Not complaining about the help; and no blame.

Just...been working this, for how long now (edit: thread started 1/23. 3 weeks!?). I'm just frustrated with the process; not the people.

Edited by CDLehner

So...8 to 5 is not too far from being done. When it is...I'll format disk8 to xfs, and that'll be that; kind of.

I can run and post a diagnostic after that, if it's wanted; then I'd like to be able to...

- remove disk6 (has been copied to 1)

- remove disk7 as our accidentally formatted, and not yet "recovered" drive

- remove disk 30RX (or leave 30RX unassigned...or both 7/38RH and 30RX unassigned?)

And I'd like to get my array back up...with the 5+1 disks (the +1 being disk8, formatted, empty...but staying in the array) it consists of now.

28 minutes ago, CDLehner said:

get my array back up...with the 5+1 disks (the +1 being disk8, formatted, empty...but staying in the array) it consists of now.

Yes, New Config and rebuild parity with only the disks you want to keep in the array, assigned however you want. Just be sure you don't assign any data disk to any parity slot.

After that, chances are any of the recovered files that have their correct names, if their size seems reasonable, are probably OK. Try them out and you can copy them back to the array.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

any of the recovered files that have their correct names, if their size seems reasonable, are probably OK

I was just talking about lost+found. You would have to figure out where they belong.

I expect the other folders are OK and you can just copy them back to their user shares.

• CDLehner changed the title to [SOLVED]Yet ANOTHER...'Replacing Drives' Question