Server keeps shutting off

xdriver

I posted before and thought I had figured it out by changing the power supply, updating the BIOS, changing the CMOS battery, reseating cables and even testing each stick of ram individually, but no luck. Sometimes it will stay running for an hour, sometimes 9 or so hours. Help would be appreciated. I had an old box running fine for years, but as of "updating" to a second hand rig from a friend, I am getting quite frustrated. Are there any specific logs that would be useful to gain some help with this, maybe something gets recorded on each crash? Any monitoring apps I should add while the server is up and running. Are there any issues with any of this hardware and compatibility with UNRAID?

Thank you in advance

Model: N/A
M/B: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. G1.Sniper M3-CF Version x.x - s/n: To be filled by O.E.M.
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version F10f. Dated: 04/29/2013
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
HVM: Not Available
IOMMU: Not Available
Cache: 128 KiB, 1 MB, 6 MB
Memory: 32 GiB DDR3 (max. installable capacity 32 GiB)
Network: eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500
Kernel: Linux 5.19.17-Unraid x86_64
OpenSSL: 1.1.1s
Uptime:
5 hours ago, trurl said:

Where (how?) are you looking?

I wasn't able to see it by browsing on my mac to the flash drive, but I can see it by browsing through the GUI on the "Main" tab for my server.  I have attached the current file that I believe is it. However, the server has not crashed yet. 

syslog

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 7.24.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 7.26.13 PM.png

Edited by xdriver
add screenshot

It crashed last night and I was able to boot it up for about 5 minutes just now and this is the only log I was able to get from the flash drive before it crashed again (this time being 5 minutes into booting rather than 10-12 or so hours yesterday. There was no tower-diagnostic with any dates other than the attachment in my previous post. Should there have been one with yesterday's date on it?

syslog (1)

Edited by xdriver
2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Then would suggest replacing the flash drive.

I'll try the flash firs, but I don't think it's that since it came from a different rig and worked fine, plus I moved the flash drive into a different location on this rig that is located on a different part of the motherboard, yet it still has that usb3 and usb4 current error. 

Thank you very much for sticking with me and working through trying to sort this out

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but I'll toss out a few thoughts:

• If it was a BIOS setting, the shutdown would likely be more like pressing the power button (giving a clean shutdown).  So your failure sounds more of a hardware issue.
  • That you tested USB voltage is good, but your failure happens intermittently, over time.  OK when you tested, then something happens and not ok.
  • Is the system running hot?  If it is overheating (especially the motherboard and/or VRM) this could cause the issue you are seeing.
  • Are you overclocking?  Made any changes to the voltage settings in your BIOS?  If so, set things back to default.
  • "Over-current" conditions are typically caused by something trying to pull too much power.  Check the system that all of the wiring is undamaged and connected correctly.  I'd recommend temporarily disconnecting any case and accessory cables (front panel USB, audio, etc.).  The power/reset switches are OK to stay connected.  A pinched or damaged cable can cause your issue.  Plug your boot drive, kb, etc. in the MB back panel.
  • At this point, it sounds like a hardware failure.  5V is all over the entire system.  The two main culprits would be the motherboard (failing VRM circuitry) or power supply.  Swapping out the PSU with a known good one is the easier task of the two.

Late to the party, but I'll toss out a few thoughts:
  • If it was a BIOS setting, the shutdown would likely be more like pressing the power button (giving a clean shutdown).  So your failure sounds more of a hardware issue.
  • That you tested USB voltage is good, but your failure happens intermittently, over time.  OK when you tested, then something happens and not ok.
  • Is the system running hot?  If it is overheating (especially the motherboard and/or VRM) this could cause the issue you are seeing.
  • Are you overclocking?  Made any changes to the voltage settings in your BIOS?  If so, set things back to default.
  • "Over-current" conditions are typically caused by something trying to pull too much power.  Check the system that all of the wiring is undamaged and connected correctly.  I'd recommend temporarily disconnecting any case and accessory cables (front panel USB, audio, etc.).  The power/reset switches are OK to stay connected.  A pinched or damaged cable can cause your issue.  Plug your boot drive, kb, etc. in the MB back panel.
  • At this point, it sounds like a hardware failure.  5V is all over the entire system.  The two main culprits would be the motherboard (failing VRM circuitry) or power supply.  Swapping out the PSU with a known good one is the easier task of the two.

Thank you for taking the time, I’ll run those all down when I’m back there tomorrow. Thanks a ton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, xdriver said:

I ended up purchasing a USB tester, and all the ports are 4.83 volts. Still seems odd. Any idea if there could be a BIOS setting that shuts the computer down? Any suggestions on a new MOBO to reuse my ddr3 memory and LGA 1155 CPU?

Sounds to me like it's time to replace the old, failing hardware (MB in particular is the prime suspect) with a brand new component set.

Even if it means discarding the old but still functioning parts.

There is no reason to look for an outdated motherboard just for the purpose of re-using the also outdated RAM (DDR4 is real cheap now) or inefficient by today's standards CPU.

Especially considering that Unraid makes the process of hardware upgrading real simple.

Edited by Lolight
  • 4 weeks later...