Rename USB Flash Device Partition Label on Linux?

Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

Newcomer to unRAID, cutting my teeth on a HPE Microserver Gen8. Proving harder than hoped with the actual boot, as it is "Legacy", i.e. not UEFI.

I have created a custom Grub bootloader, which I have to to the point of auto-booting into unRAID 6.11.5. It takes 7.5 mins, as running from an internal USB2.0 drive.

Once it finally does, I now get this error:

`waiting up to 30 sec for device with label UNRAID to come online ... `

I have not labelled it correctly, it would seem.

I am so close to getting this booting! I think! I hope!

How do I change the drive's "Label" of a FAT-based partition/volume so that it is recognised by unRAID?

SCR-20230124-twh.jpeg

Edited by explosionhole
  • explosionhole changed the title to Rename USB Flash Device Partition Label on Linux?
  • Solution
38 minutes ago, explosionhole said:

Newcomer to unRAID, cutting my teeth on a HPE Microserver Gen8. Proving harder than hoped with the actual boot, as it is "Legacy", i.e. not UEFI.

I have created a custom Grub bootloader, which I have to to the point of auto-booting into unRAID 6.11.5. It takes 7.5 mins, as running from an internal USB2.0 drive.

Once it finally does, I now get this error:

`waiting up to 30 sec for device with label UNRAID to come online ... `

I have not labelled it correctly, it would seem.

I am so close to getting this booting! I think! I hope!

How do I change the drive's "Label" of a FAT-based partition/volume so that it is recognised by unRAID?

SCR-20230124-twh.jpeg

fatlabel is the linux command, windows various options. Not sure why you need grub as syslinux should boot ok.

The HP Microserver Gen8 only has Legacy BIOS boot options, not UEFI. I tried many ways to deploy the standard UNRAID image, none worked.

The only thing that did was when I put Ubuntu Live onto a stick, which immediately booted, and I saw Grub was the bootloader being used there.

This led onto another web search for these 3 items (UNRAID, my Gen8 and Grub), which someone else had published a Git repo for how he accomplished it. I have followed it as best I can, but still cannot get this to fully boot.

The latest error message (after applying the `fatlabel` command) is:

bzimage not present

I am checking the boot and grub.cfg paths, but without any technical authority for how it works...

• 2 weeks later...

To change the label of a FAT-based partition/volume, you can use the "dosfslabel" command in Linux. To do this, follow these steps:

Boot into a Linux environment, such as a live CD or USB drive.

Connect the USB drive containing the FAT partition you want to change the label for.

Run the following command to list the partitions on your system:

Copy code

sudo fdisk -l

Identify the correct partition by checking the size, file system, and device name.

Run the following command to change the label, replacing "LABELNAME" with the desired label name and "DEVICE" with the device name of the partition:

Copy code

sudo dosfslabel DEVICE LABELNAME

Verify the label has been changed by running the following command:

sudo dosfsck -n DEVICE

Check the label of the partition:

sudo blkid DEVICE

Now that you have changed the label of the FAT partition, it should be recognized by unRAID during boot.

Incase you have further questions on how to use Linux on a HPE Microserver Gen8 you can talk experts on HPE Community . They generaly respond with in a day or so.