Disk1 is dead. (3disk array). Flash drive is dead. I have no config backup. ¿Whats next?

Fenixsu
Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hello everyone,

I come to you for help, I am afraid of losing all my data. I am a complete newbie, I bought two 12TB hard drives in addition to a 4TB drive. I had an array of 3 hard drives (12TB+12TB+4TB) + two 240GB SSDs as cache (250GB+240GB), but after five days of use, Disk 1 died (12TB). It was weird because the hard drive started making weird noises. UNRAID encountered disk errors. In the "MAIN" tab, disk1 was listed as "Emulated disk". Hours later the hard drive no longer turned on, but my files were still accessible thanks to the Parity Disk.

I shut down the server and tried to test the hard drive on my windows machine, but it was still dead. When I turned the server back on, I found problems with the flash drive. In short, the flash drive died and I did not have a backup. There was no way to get the "config" folder from the flash drive. When I connected the flash drive to my Windows machine, it appeared as unreadable. I used CHKDSK, it worked, but now the files have strange characters and they can't be opened. (Screenshot1)

I changed the flash drive and replaced the key without problems, but I don't know how to recover my data. I read that I would have to assign the hard drives in the same way as before. I did it. (there are only three HDD and I have the serial numbers)

Parity = 12TB

Disk1 = unassigned (It is dead)

Disk2 = 4TB

I selected "parity is already valid" checkbox and Start the array. Apparently it worked, UNRAID says "parity is valid". In the "Docker" tab both KRUSADER and PLEX are installed (I had them before). I used Krusader to browse the different folders, but the "disk1" folder doesn't exist. (where I had my files). When I saw that the disk1 folder didn't exist, I stopped the array.

How can I recover my files? I guess I have to tell UNRAID that Disk1 is disabled or something like that.

In the meantime, I started a warranty claim for the dead hard drive, but looks like it's going to take a while. The main use of the server was to run PMS, but I would like to recover some important files just in case I lose everything.

My native language is not English, so I hope that what I wrote can be understood.
I hope you can help me. Thank you in advance.

imagen.png

Screenshot 2.png

17 minutes ago, Fenixsu said:

flash drive died and I did not have a backup

You must always have a current backup of flash.

17 minutes ago, Fenixsu said:

tell UNRAID that Disk1 is disabled

It must have something in the disk1 slot before New Config/Trust Parity will get you to a place where you can disable disk1 and rebuild it to a new disk.

Do you have any other disk you can assign as disk1? If not you will have to wait on a new disk. Might as well wait on the new disk anyway. Better if you could just buy a new disk instead of waiting.

Shut down until you are ready to work on this. 

Don't do anything without further advice.

51 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

The replacement disk could be the same size or larger. but not smaller.  (One more requirement, It can not be larger that the Parity Drive.)

The only requirement in this case is that it not be larger than parity. We are going to New Config/Trust parity anyway.

It is not going to be a replacement disk, it is just going to be a placeholder disk1 so New Config/Trust parity will have a disk1 we can disable and access its contents if necessary.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Fenixsu said:

Yes, I have other hard drives, but not with the same storage capacity. It could work?

You will still need a disk to rebuild to. The only thing we can do with a smaller disk is disable it to see if emulated disk1 is mountable and possibly copy any data from the emulated disk.

Do you have backups of anything important and irreplaceable? Parity is not a substitute for backups.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 2:55 PM, Fenixsu said:

When I saw that the disk1 folder didn't exist, I stopped the array

Since you started the array without disk1, it will be out-of-sync to emulate disk1, but maybe not too much depending on how much was written to the array. We will just have to see what happens.

1. Tools - New Config, Retain All, Apply
  2. Assign new disk as disk1.
  3. Very important! Check BOTH Parity Valid and Maintenance mode boxes then start the array. This will accept all disks into the array just as they are without trying to access them or change any contents.
  4. Stop the array, unassign disk1, then start the array with nothing assigned as disk1. This will disable disk1.

Then post new diagnostics.

23 minutes ago, trurl said:

Emulated disk1 is mounted and over half full. Check your lost+found share to see what repair couldn't figure out.

What do you get from command line with this?

du -h -d 1 /mnt/disk1

Apparently everything is in "lost+found", but file structure is messed up.

imagen.thumb.png.510d640316101defae328cb9682974f2.png

imagen.png

Edited by Fenixsu

Filesystem repair sometimes can't figure out what folders a file belongs in, so you will have to move things where they belong. Sometimes there will also be files it doesn't have a name for. The linux 'file' command might be able to tell you what kind of data is in a file so you can try to open it and see what it is.

At this point we are working with the emulated disk. Whatever is on the emulated disk is what you will have when you rebuild the disk. You can copy files from the emulated disk somewhere off the array if you want to back them up.

User shares are simply the combined top level folders on array or pools. For example, some of your appdata share is on disk1. Other files that are currently in lost+found will be from other top level folders that were part of user shares.

Since you lost your configuration from the flash drive, none of the user shares have any of those settings. They all have default settings now. Here are the only user shares you have now:

appdata                           shareUseCache="no"      # Share exists on disk1, disk2, cache
domains                           shareUseCache="no"      # Share exists on cache
isos                              shareUseCache="yes"     # Share exists on disk2
l--------d                        shareUseCache="no"      # Share exists on disk1
system                            shareUseCache="no"      # Share exists on cache

Except for lost+found, these are the default user shares created by Docker and VM Manager.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Shares#Default_Shares

You should disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings until you get your array stable again, and set appdata, domains, system shares to cache:prefer.

Disk2 doesn't have much data on it. Nothing we have done in this thread would have any effect on disk2. Not unusual that most data would go to disk1 first with highwater allocation. Since disk2 is so much smaller, it wouldn't be selected until disk1 had only 2TB (half as much as disk2) remaining.

On 1/26/2023 at 1:24 PM, Fenixsu said:

have backup of maybe 40% of the files

Probably simpler to get files from backup and then see what else you can make sense of in lost+found.

Dynamix File Manager plugin will let you work with disks or user shares directly on the server.

If you want to work with lost+found over the network, you will have to configure that user share to allow access.

There are other things about your configuration you lost without a flash backup. All settings from the webUI were in the config folder on flash, including docker templates. We can deal with that after your array is stable.

This might be as good as it gets for disk1. I will ping some of the usual suspects

@JorgeB @JonathanM @itimpi

to see if they have any other ideas before we rebuild disk1. It's late so may be several hours before they respond.