Server down after I moved places and lost USB. More drama within

Prev:

Server was on a wired LAN. 

Router handed out a fixed IP

So, I shifted residence. The movers moved the server, but didn't leave the USB booting drive in. So I use the USB creator to create a drive from a backup I had stored. Good till this

Now, the new place doesn't have provision for LAN. Only Wifi. So I get a wifi dongle and plug it into the device. 

Now  2 issues

1) On bootup, I select Unraid GUI, but no GUI shows up. If I select regular unraid bootup, it does work and reaches the login prompt. But how do I now enable wifi and get the machine on the network?

2) Whatever UI I had via the web, is that somehow accessible? if I hook it up to a monitor? How do I get there..

Need y'all help guys .. how do I approach this in a step by step manner?

23 minutes ago, maverhick said:

Now, the new place doesn't have provision for LAN. Only Wifi. So I get a wifi dongle and plug it into the device. 

Have a look at this:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bridge-WiFi-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B0BJKTCVG3

Plus there are many other similar devices.  (This is not a recommendation for this particular piece of hardware.  It was only one of many options found in a search of this vendor's website...)

Unraid does not support any WiFi hardware.  You have to use a wired connection and your WiFi speed will be dependent on too many variables to even bother starting a list. 

Sounds like an issue then. Let me figure out if I can do an ethernet connection. Secondly, I was unable to load the Unraid gui from bootup. I just saw a white screen and nothing else happened. If I selected unraid, it went upto the login screen.  Does anything from the above setup declare itself to not work with the unraid gui?

Is this a landlord provided wireless service?  If that is the case, you may have a major security issue if you connect your Unraid server to that service.  (Basically, you are giving direct access to the server to everyone who has access to that network and Unraid is not harden enough to survive any hacking attack!)   If this is the case, I would  be thinking about setting a standard router but without an Internet connection.  If it is a wireless router, I would make sure that the password for the WiFi SSID is long and secure (or turn it off completely).  For Internet access, It is quite simple to switch from one WiFi signal to another one.   (While I never tried it, it may be possible to have simultaneous wired and wireless connections...)

Ok, I finally found a way to get it back up.  The server is up on an older version of the OS (turns out my backup was an year old) . I got this up by hooking it up to a lan. There is one issue I am facing

1) The Docker Containers are alive, but version update is not happening. On checking for updates - I get the error  "not available" ..

2) All my plugins are erroring out. So seems like some sort of an issue. 

Any suggestions? Any diagnostic scans?

50 minutes ago, maverhick said:

The Docker Containers are alive, but version update is not happening. On checking for updates - I get the error  "not available"

this is a known issue, see this thread for fix

53 minutes ago, maverhick said:

All my plugins are erroring out. So seems like some sort of an issue

that is something else