PSU For New Case

CDLehner

So...I'm moving my build, to a Gamemax Silent Titan. I don't know shizz, about power-supplies. My old case (Norco RPC-2212), was easy: just a 1u Server unit. But I'm not sure what do here; given the size limitation of the PSU area

11-445-009-18.thumb.jpg.c9106a5d3f990fe6da348974f70ee899.jpg

I need power, for (10) SATA. Obviously, that's not a tall order https://pangoly.com/en/hardware/psu/sata-connectors/10

Those just don't look like they fit?

Edited by CDLehner

"Why do you think that?"

Because I don't shizz, about PSUs 😁😔

"According to the product page on the Gamemax website, the case will accommodate ATX PSU up to 200mm length so as long as the PSU you get is shorter than that, it should fit."

Yeah; I looked at that exact pic. While the length is outlined...and easy enough to check specs, and make sure you don't exceed; it was the width that concerned me. Those PSUs, just look so "square", and bulky; and "bigger" than what would fir in that "shroud". Glad to know it should be easy enough.

Since we're weighing-in...anyone have a specific recommendation?? 

On 1/27/2023 at 7:17 PM, CDLehner said:

Yeah; I looked at that exact pic. While the length is outlined...and easy enough to check specs, and make sure you don't exceed; it was the width that concerned me. Those PSUs, just look so "square", and bulky; and "bigger" than what would fir in that "shroud". Glad to know it should be easy enough.

ATX PSU's have a standard width and height (150mm x 86mm), it's only the depth/length of them that varies. Historically, most ATX PSU's are around 140mm in length, but in recent years longer PSU's have become more common with higher power demands.

On 1/27/2023 at 7:17 PM, CDLehner said:

Since we're weighing-in...anyone have a specific recommendation?? 

Personally, I use Corsair power supplies - both my Unraid boxes have them (CX650 and HX750i) as well as my main PC (RM750x), although the Seasonic ones do tend to rate quite highly in a lot of reviews as well.

Do you have any other hardware other than what is listed in your screenshot above (Phenom II, 2 x 8GB, 2 x SSD and 8 x HDD)? I've plugged that info into the OuterVision PSU calculator (https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator) and that doesn't suggest anywhere near 600W. If you use that calculator, I'd recommend the Expert tab as it gives you plenty of options for all your devices.

Online PSU calculators work fine for typical desktop computers.  Not so much on server applications.  Just as most power supplies in the consumer market are designed for your typical desktop/gaming computer.

Most consumer PSU have 100W or so dedicated for the 3.3V/5V CPU and motherboard.  The 8-pin PGU connector is 12V and can deliver 150W.  But the biggest concern for most Unraid users is how much 12V is available for all of those spinning rust drives.  While spun down or spinning and not busy power consumption is roughly 5-8 watts.  But at power up (or spinning up a spun down disk) power can spike to double of this.  And for some Unraid functions such as starting a parity check or a clean shutdown, all of the disks may spin up at the same time.

As having a huge, power hungry GPU in an Unraid server is usually folks running gaming VMs, a typical server can run easily with a much more modest one in the 650-750 watt range.  I generally feel it is better to shop quality over quantity.  An efficient PSU from a quality manufacturer (my first choice is SeaSonic, but many have good experiences with Corsair).  Skip the budget lines, and step up to at least the next tier model.  When comparing different models and brands, check the data sheets for how much 12V power the supply has.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:49 PM, ConnerVT said:

An efficient PSU from a quality manufacturer (my first choice is SeaSonic, but many have good experiences with Corsair).  Skip the budget lines, and step up to at least the next tier model.

Don't just go by brand name - every manufacturer has its share of DUDs including SeaSonic and Corsair.

Look for a specific model, that's been tested and proven itself.

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Edited by Lolight
6 hours ago, Lolight said:

Don't just go by brand name - every manufacturer has its share of DUDs including SeaSonic and Corsair.

I agree.  But it is a bit more complicated than that.  Nearly every manufacturer contracts someone else to manufacture some (or all) of the PSU they sell.  So many of PSU you buy have the same components, and even circuitry, inside the box they sell.  Other than the PSU case and cabling, the difference between models and brands comes down to two things - how they spec what the actual electronics and the quality control of what goes out the door.

The better reviewed brands do a better job at the last part.  They have history in providing good products that work and last a long time.  This is why they have better reviews and loyal customers.  The lower tier entry level lines they offer are for them to be included in that particular market.  Usually still a decent PSU, but things get funny when looking at low cost markets.  Someone has $50 to spend on a PSU.  Well known brand has a 450W supply, but I can get a 1000W PSU from Alibaba for the same price?  Which do you think is a better value?  Which is going to work better?  Last longer?  At the bottom end of the marker, it gets murky.  Always best to move up a tier and stick to known commodities, especially for a system where reliability is more important than price.

1 hour ago, ConnerVT said:

But it is a bit more complicated than that.  Nearly every manufacturer contracts someone else to manufacture some (or all) of the PSU they sell.  So many of PSU you buy have the same components, and even circuitry, inside the box they sell. 

That's the reason why I've mentioned specific models.

But yeah, it gets even more complicated.

As you've noticed by looking at the listed in the referenced above link, some PSU models on the list are marked with a model number year.

The reason being is that some manufacturers, even those at the high end (e.g. Corair!!!) do not play it straight, and switch their suppliers from one model year to another for the exact same model of a PSU.

Who knows what else they switch behind consumer's back - the end result is that some model years are not being recommended by testing community while others are.

A very deceptive practice. And not uncommon in the consumer electronics industry.

That's the reason for the suggestion to buy only the community tested and proven PSU models and model years if applicable.

Edited by Lolight

I'm not much of a black or white person.  The world is many shades of grey.  I won't discount deceptive practices, but know there are many layers to the puzzle.

The inner workings of a model can change for a number of reasons.  A component is no longer available.  The desire to improve one feature/specification may necessitate that another area/specification also need be redesigned (which a decision is made by the company as being less important).  Perhaps a certain aspect is over designed, so it is cost reduced with little/no impact to overall operation.  I can think of others.

They could change the model name every time a minor change is made.  But this would impact the retailers, as people want the latest model, usually with no idea what the difference is.  And that is the crux of the consumer computer market - most people don't know what's inside what they are buying, and generally over spec the computers they buy.  I know more than many (been in the computer industry doing design, manufacturing, service and sales for nearly 40 years) and I typically over buy my needs (for my toys, anyway).  You only see designs stay static in the commercial market, where the need for 1-to-1 replacement of components is much more needed.