Change Pool drive back into Data drive.

wallis
Go to solution Solved by apandey,

I've just had a Hard Drive fail in my array. There's enough space available on the array for the data to go elsewhere, so I know I won't lose any data, but the array will then be getting full and I'll need a replacement.

When I set up the system, I had a 1TB  NVME drive and a 1TD SSD, so I set them both up as Pool Drives. The NVME does all the work, and the SSD is hardly used.

So I'm wondering if I could take the SSD out of the pool and then use it as a Data drive? 

Can anybody suggest how I'd do that?  Thanks for your help 

Wallis

PS, I checked in FAQ but the "How do I remove a cache pool disk?" question leads to a blank page for Unraid V. 6

Edited by wallis
  • Solution
3 hours ago, wallis said:

PS, I checked in FAQ but the "How do I remove a cache pool disk?" question leads to a blank page for Unraid V. 6

I mostly go to the manual. See if this helps

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Removing_disks_from_a_multi-device_pool

If your disk to remove is a separate pool by itself, simply make sure it's not used by any shares, has no data on it and then you can just delete the pool

If you are not sure, post diagnostics or a screenshot of your main page to get further advise

On 1/27/2023 at 8:49 PM, wallis said:

if I could take the SSD out of the pool and then use it as a Data drive?

Keep in mind that the write performance will be limited by the speed of the parity drive, and trim is disallowed on parity protected data drives, so if that specific model SSD needs regular trimming you could lose read performance as well.

On 1/27/2023 at 8:49 PM, wallis said:

I set them both up as Pool Drives. The NVME does all the work, and the SSD is hardly used.

Unclear what you mean by this, if both drives are in a single RAID1 pool that is healthy both drives will participate equally.