OSX Lion Warning

well crap, just updated to OSX 10.7 Lion, edits in host file no longer work with  or terminal, I have to manually type in the IP each time. I checked the host file and the IP for the unraid server is still there and still shows tower so I don't know WTF is up.

SMB/AFP shares are all broken, don't know if this has to do with the hosts file, but I see them in my finder under the shared places. They just won't connect or do anything. WTF, can anyone help! Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to put updates and solutions on the first post.

To get your browser to access //tower instead of typing in your ip working again, go to your hosts file and put/move previous ip tower line above the following: fe80::1%lo0   localhost

If this is your first time editing your hosts file and it is locked, move up one level to the /etc folder and modify the permissions to allow everyone to edit it. If you edit permissions on the hosts file itself it won't let you modify it. You can always reset permissions after changes are made. (This might a be a big DUUUUURRRR.... to some apple developer pro wizard mages out there but for a normal person it took me forever to figure it out)

To mount your shares type smb://tower and it will mount the tower and whatever drive you select. Once mounted I assume it will stay put until a reboot.

If you update to 5.09b you're pre-existing unMenu breaks, open terminal and telnet into your server and type unmenu_install -u which will automagically update your unMenu to work. Also simple to pros but unimaginable to someone who never thought to upgrade a fully functional unMenu.

If you are running bootcamp, macfuse is not properly updated and you can not modify or mount the bootcamp partition, you can however still option boot into windows. Paragon NTFS works but I am just going to wait for the update for macfuse as I never access my bootcamp partition through my mac anyways.

And absolutely no offense to anyone here who works hard to make unraid great, but I have been tearing my hair out for 2 days to figure out something that took ONE line to solve. I asked for help and sure no one is obliged to give it, but I received mostly "mine works fine (with no solution)" or "haha you suck for upgrading dick" type responses when I just needed a little help. Worst of all I got the "you should just figure it out yourself" which makes no sense because if I could I would have right? I feel like this: http://rutube.ru/tracks/3977627.html?v=af8d0ba957ab9fba4b274545cb1a3d1e

Well I sure learned my lesson. Thanks everybody.

I can't access smb user shares either using unraid 5.09 and lion when clicking on the finder sidebar entry under "SHARED". AFP works though. I am able to connect to smb shares if I mount the share using "Connect to server". The share is then mounted under Volumes, but not visible in the sidebar.

Gluttons. :)

Sorry, but I have a very healthy respect for "just ship it" monsters. They absolutely swarm out of product mgmt meetings, especially near target release dates. Their favorite meals of course being non-crashing secondary features.

(Lion's den puns go here.)

I use to be the guy that updated his OS as soon as the newest version was out the door.

Now... I don't touch that stuff with a 10 foot pole.  Hell, I am sill running a Snow Leopard point release that is a couple versions ago.

I understand wanting to update, but if you have other appliances that rely on the thing you are updating (unRAID  relying on OS X in this case) then it is best to hold off until others have installed it and reported there findings.  Unless you are willing to play guinea pig treat an OS update as a WANT and not a NEED.

I hope the above did not come across as harsh or anything of that sort, it was not my intent.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/21/a-few-nasty-gotchas-in-lion/ boom not just unraid is affected. EVERTHING is affected.

And in all reality I needed imap access to my yahoo mail and lion totally fixed it. I mean I went 3 years checking my google and hotmail in the mail app and having to login to yahoo EVERY time to check my yahoo mail. So for that I am grateful. Other than that Lion has been pretty meh.

I have never gotten AFP to work once in unRaid its so inconsistent it might as well not even be listed as a feature. I hope someone can get everything back up and running, I hate having to use my win7 laptop to browse my files when I have a 27" iMac in front of me.

Something isn't right there. SMB and AFP is working perfectly (besides TimeMachine) on 3 individual Lion installs with the latest beta. And on 10.6, it has worked well since first implemented by unRAID.  The TimeMachine issue is related to Netatalk dragging their feet on the AFP protocol. The latest version will fix a lot of these problems, once implemented in unRAID.

I have SMB turned on. I'm using user shares though, not disk shares. Perhaps that's the problem.. I never access disk shares via AFP because of the invisible files it creates.

And in all reality I needed imap access to my yahoo mail and lion totally fixed it. I mean I went 3 years checking my google and hotmail in the mail app and having to login to yahoo EVERY time to check my yahoo mail. So for that I am grateful. Other than that Lion has been pretty meh.

Maybe getting off track here but couldn't you have forwarded your yahoo mail to one of the others, or had your google account pick it up with it's "owned accounts" feature?

i am one of those "early adopter/pioneers" with way too many arrows in my back as well...upgraded to Lion this morning and promptly had problems with not being able to connect to my LaCie 5big Network NAS drives or my unRAID anymore...after some searches i found a forum thread that contained the following terminal commands, which i tried (hoping for not yet another arrow), with the result that i can now mount my NAS drives again, and am able to connect to the disk and user shares on my unRAID again...if i understood this correctly, at the expense of greater security on the authentication...hope this is of any help:

This probably has to do with Apple updating and dropping support for the use of afp “DHCAST128? because it was supposedly insecure. Netatalk 2.2 should be supported with Lion, but until Lacie releases a firmware update, you will have to use Cifs/SMB to connect to you network share.

There is a hack you can try:

To turn on “DHCAST128? support please do the following on your Mac running Mac OS X 10.7 Lion:

1) Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and do:

sudo chmod o+w /Library/Preferences

Then:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version -int 1

Now Quit from Terminal and restart your computer.

2) From Finder, select an AFP server, or use “Connect To…”. This will cause the AFP Client to create the full preferences file

3) Launch Terminal again and do:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array “Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0? “2-Way Randnum exchange”

Then:

sudo chmod o-w /Library/Preferences

Note: To add a “DHCAST128? to the disable list, use

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array-add “DHCAST128?

Let me know how it works out for you.

EDIT: Keep in mind that if you rely on the share server as your Time Machine backup, this method will not reenable Time Machine since Time Machine in Lion requires Netatalk (AFP) 2.2 for security reasons. The only way to get Time Machine to work again is to update the firmware once Lacie releases it. This also applies for all other NAS boxes. QNAP, ReadyNAS, etc.

i am one of those "early adopter/pioneers" with way too many arrows in my back as well...upgraded to Lion this morning and promptly had problems with not being able to connect to my LaCie 5big Network NAS drives or my unRAID anymore...after some searches i found a forum thread that contained the following terminal commands, which i tried (hoping for not yet another arrow), with the result that i can now mount my NAS drives again, and am able to connect to the disk and user shares on my unRAID again...if i understood this correctly, at the expense of greater security on the authentication...hope this is of any help:

This probably has to do with Apple updating and dropping support for the use of afp “DHCAST128? because it was supposedly insecure. Netatalk 2.2 should be supported with Lion, but until Lacie releases a firmware update, you will have to use Cifs/SMB to connect to you network share.

To turn on “DHCAST128? support please do the following on your Mac running Mac OS X 10.7 Lion:

Then:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version -int 1

2) From Finder, select an AFP server, or use “Connect To…”. This will cause the AFP Client to create the full preferences file

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array “Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0? “2-Way Randnum exchange”

Then:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array-add “DHCAST128?

EDIT: Keep in mind that if you rely on the share server as your Time Machine backup, this method will not reenable Time Machine since Time Machine in Lion requires Netatalk (AFP) 2.2 for security reasons. The only way to get Time Machine to work again is to update the firmware once Lacie releases it. This also applies for all other NAS boxes. QNAP, ReadyNAS, etc.

....Or... instead of causing yourself problems down the line from editing system files, upgrade to the latest unRAID beta.

Got the hosts file issue fixed, has to go above the line:

fe80::1%lo0 localhost

Will try the newest beta as I am on 5.0b6 but it scares the crap outta me that there are something like 11 pages of complaints that things are broken on it.

Good find.  I will have to change mine.

I can't access smb user shares either using unraid 5.09 and lion when clicking on the finder sidebar entry under "SHARED". AFP works though. I am able to connect to smb shares if I mount the share using "Connect to server". The share is then mounted under Volumes, but not visible in the sidebar.

Same thing here. I can connect if I "Connect to Server" from the menu and use the unRAID machine's IP address or name ("unraid"), but not if I use the name that appears in the "shared" section which is "unraid-SMB". Is Lion attempting to connect to the wrong name because unRAID has added "-SMB" to it, because I'm also using AFP?

I have only a single AFP share for use with Time Machine. I can connect to that normally through the "shared" section, but Time Machine doesn't work anymore even with 5.0beta9.

UPDATE: After manually connecting to "smb://unraid/mysmbsharename", Finder told me that I was connected to "unraid" (and not "unraid-SMB"). When I click on "unraid" I see all my SMB shares. Previously, before I connected with "Connect to Server", I could see and connect to my AFP shares when I clicked on "unraid" in the shared section.

Do I have to choose between AFP and SMB?

UPDATE 2: Even though I can connect to SMB share at "smb://unraid/mysmbsharename", or via the "shared" section (if I'm not already connected to AFP), when I open iTunes none of my music can be found because iTunes is trying to connect to "unraid-SMB" which doesn't exist. How can I fix this without just re-importing my whole library again (and losing play-count, date added, etc)? And should I even try to fix this by accessing AFP shares at "unraid" instead of SMB shares at "unraid-SMB", or just wait for unRAID to fix AFP/SMB shares working together?

Then:

Then:

....Or... instead of causing yourself problems down the line from editing system files, upgrade to the latest unRAID beta.

At this point speeding_ant you are the ONLY one with unRaid working with osx lion. Are you using a server version or GM that you bootlegged off the internet? Because everyone using a legit copy bought from apple is having these problems...except you.

Not saying you are a liar but it just seems like you are the luckiest man in the world, you should go buy some lottery tickets or something. As far as the advice to update to 5.0b9 yea I did that and it still doesn't work, but then again AFP has NEVER worked for me on unraid...netatalk 2.2 or not...