OSX Lion Warning

i am one of those "early adopter/pioneers" with way too many arrows in my back as well...upgraded to Lion this morning and promptly had problems with not being able to connect to my LaCie 5big Network NAS drives or my unRAID anymore...after some searches i found a forum thread that contained the following terminal commands, which i tried (hoping for not yet another arrow), with the result that i can now mount my NAS drives again, and am able to connect to the disk and user shares on my unRAID again...if i understood this correctly, at the expense of greater security on the authentication...hope this is of any help:

This probably has to do with Apple updating and dropping support for the use of afp “DHCAST128? because it was supposedly insecure. Netatalk 2.2 should be supported with Lion, but until Lacie releases a firmware update, you will have to use Cifs/SMB to connect to you network share.

There is a hack you can try:

To turn on “DHCAST128? support please do the following on your Mac running Mac OS X 10.7 Lion:

1) Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and do:

sudo chmod o+w /Library/Preferences

Then:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version -int 1

Now Quit from Terminal and restart your computer.

2) From Finder, select an AFP server, or use “Connect To…”. This will cause the AFP Client to create the full preferences file

3) Launch Terminal again and do:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array “Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0? “2-Way Randnum exchange”

Then:

sudo chmod o-w /Library/Preferences

Now Quit from Terminal and restart your computer.

Note: To add a “DHCAST128? to the disable list, use

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array-add “DHCAST128?

Let me know how it works out for you.

EDIT: Keep in mind that if you rely on the share server as your Time Machine backup, this method will not reenable Time Machine since Time Machine in Lion requires Netatalk (AFP) 2.2 for security reasons. The only way to get Time Machine to work again is to update the firmware once Lacie releases it. This also applies for all other NAS boxes. QNAP, ReadyNAS, etc.

....Or... instead of causing yourself problems down the line from editing system files, upgrade to the latest unRAID beta.

At this point speeding_ant you are the ONLY one with unRaid working with osx lion. Are you using a server version or GM that you bootlegged off the internet? Because everyone using a legit copy bought from apple is having these problems...except you.

Not saying you are a liar but it just seems like you are the luckiest man in the world, you should go buy some lottery tickets or something. As far as the advice to update to 5.0b9 yea I did that and it still doesn't work, but then again AFP has NEVER worked for me on unraid...netatalk 2.2 or not...

Have you got a USB external drive? If so, I suggest installing Lion onto it and testing your own setup.

As mentioned, you may have found a bug with disk shares and AFP. I don't use disk shares with AFP, so I can't comment on that setup.

I'm an Apple developer, have been using it since DP2. The GM is the same build as release.

HTH

so wtf is wrong with my setup, right now I have a 16TB of storage with no way to access it on my primary computer. When I set user shares nothing even shows up, its like finder is not even refreshing the network sources, except when I turn of AFP then everything disappears. Can't turn off SMB tho, every time I try the damn option just stays on yes. This sucks, if this is a bug that is affecting me no kinds of betas or updates will help will it?

so wtf is wrong with my setup, right now I have a 16TB of storage with no way to access it on my primary computer. When I set user shares nothing even shows up, its like finder is not even refreshing the network sources, except when I turn of AFP then everything disappears. Can't turn off SMB tho, every time I try the damn option just stays on yes. This sucks, if this is a bug that is affecting me no kinds of betas or updates will help will it?

Perhaps you should try and find out? I've given you some pointers. Start with a fresh OS on an external drive. That will decide whether or not your computer is at fault, or if unRAID is giving you some jit.

If it's unRAID, try setting up your shares from scratch again. Make sure your usernames are lower case, and your passwords have no special characters in them. Someone who has knowledge of such things will come along and say which particular conf files need to be removed to start fresh without invalidating parity.

Again (and I say this after repeating it to you before), you're using Beta software, on a new release of an OS. Expect these issues.

I'm running Lion on my MacBook Pro with no problems.  I'd been running the beta's and GM on my older Macbook for a while too without any problems except those stupid 4kb double files.  The Macbook is waiting on a new battery so I can't test it anymore.  I planning on upgrading my Hackintosh which has replaced the Macbook in my setup.  I wanted to see if I would still get those double files before I upgraded since they drive me nuts.  I didn't get them with a brief test using the Macbook Pro.  The Hackintosh is kinda my landing zone where my media comes in before I transfer it to the Unraid server.  I've got programs that automatically sort my TV series and put them in the correct folders so I'd end up with two copies of the shows except one was just a 4kb file.  That's the one that usually got renamed with the correct convention though.  So I'd have to go and fix it manually, and it was driving me nuts.

Anyway I'm still running 4.7 and a pretty vanilla install on my Macs.  In other words I haven't changed any settings on my Macs to work with Unraid, and I'm just using smb on Unraid.

as speeding_ant said, i will probably have problems down the line when Apple fixes this issue, and i won't know how to get those files back to how they were.

as for this:

i just realized too that when i do as much as remove my network cable from my MacBook, then re-connect the cable, it acts like it's not plugged in anymore...all mounted shares are gone and the machine remains offline as far as Safari or Firefox goes, even after a reboot...WiFi works ok, but i may just have to start from scratch...duh! should have known better.

Lion here also with unRAID 5b8, things are working just fine.  I haven't used AFP as I've never had great performance with it on any of the 5.0 betas.

I think the problem is when AFP *and* SMB are used at the same time, the SMB connection is renamed to "tower-SMB". Normally this works fine, but in Lion the OS seems to be trying to connect to "tower-SMB" (which is not a valid name, doesn't resolve to an IP address) and failing to connect. A second problem seems to exist with Time Machine on AFP shares. I'm not sure what causes it.

Just thought I'd share my limited experience so far with unRAID 5.0b9 and Lion: no issues that I can see. 

I have only tried user shares via SMB (no disk shares yet).  I do have AFP enabled, but nothing shared via AFP.  When I connect, I am connecting to smb://tower, not *-smb.

Hope this helps.  I'll update as I try it out some more.

well crap, just updated to OSX 10.7 Lion, edits in host file no longer work with  or terminal, I have to manually type in the IP each time. I checked the host file and the IP for the unraid server is still there and still shows tower so I don't know WTF is up.

SMB/AFP shares are all broken, don't know if this has to do with the hosts file, but I see them in my finder under the shared places. They just won't connect or do anything. WTF, can anyone help! Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to put updates and solutions on the first post.

To get your browser to access //tower instead of typing in your ip go to your hosts file and put/move previous ip tower line above the following:

fe80::1%lo0   localhost

If this is your first time editing your host file and it is locked, then you should move up one level to the /etc folder and modify the permissions to allow everyone to edit it. If you edit permissions on the host file itself it won't let you modify it. You can always reset permissions after changes are made. (This might a be a big DUUUUURRRR.... to some apple developer pro wizard mages out there but for a normal person it took me forever to figure it out)

To mount your shares type smb://tower and it will mount the tower and whatever drive you select. Once mounted I assume it will stay put until a reboot.

If you update to 5.09b you're pre-existing unMenu breaks, open terminal and telnet into your server and type unmenu_install -u which will automagically update your unMenu to work. Also simple to pros but unimaginable to someone who never thought to upgrade a fully functional unMenu.

If you are running bootcamp, macfuse is not properly updated and you can not modify or mount the bootcamp partition, you can however still option boot into windows. Paragon NTFS works but I am just going to wait for the update for macfuse as I never access my bootcamp partition through my mac anyways.

And absolutely no offense to anyone here who works hard to make unraid great, but I have been tearing my hair out for 2 days to figure out something that took ONE line to solve. I asked for help and sure no one is obliged to give it, but I received mostly "mine works fine (with no solution)" or "haha you suck for upgrading dick" type responses when I just needed a little help. Worst of all I got the "you should just figure it out yourself" which makes no sense because if I could I would have right? Well I sure learned my lesson. Thanks everybody.

i have a MacPro with Lion, and i have not had any problems with unraid as of yet. i upgraded last night. i am also running 5.09beta.

Are you using AFP or SMB, or both? Are you using Time Machine?

sorry for the delay. i am using smb only. i have a couple of 1tb hard drives in my macpro for time machine. i have never really gotten afp to work (although, i have not put a lot of effort into it either)

Lion here also with unRAID 5b8, things are working just fine.  I haven't used AFP as I've never had great performance with it on any of the 5.0 betas.

I think the problem is when AFP *and* SMB are used at the same time, the SMB connection is renamed to "tower-SMB". Normally this works fine, but in Lion the OS seems to be trying to connect to "tower-SMB" (which is not a valid name, doesn't resolve to an IP address) and failing to connect. A second problem seems to exist with Time Machine on AFP shares. I'm not sure what causes it.

This seems to be the case. I edited the smb.service file and removed the -SMB suffix and now it works. Of course I only have one entry in the sidebar now, since both afp and smb have the same name and now my afp shares are missing.

Roland