I make a sleeper build from spare parts. Unleashing the extreme capacity monster.

• GRRRRRRR changed the title to First Unraid build - I put 25 different disks all kinds of weird ways, and make a FULL MESS topology that will burst into flames 🔥 any second now

I wonder what's the risk when using almost-the-cheapest Power Supply, can it blow up the HDDs by supplying the wrong voltage, when it burns out ?

It's a som-brand China OEM ATX-500W supposedly with parts for 280W inside. The whole system will not exced 140-150W when all HDDs are reading which is not planned. Planned HDD activity is 4 at a time max.

Spinup may overload something.

In this situation I do not want to replace the PSU because that is too much work for me right now. It will be easier to save an Index of the HDDs so if they blow up (0.1%chance of that happening in the next 5 years) I will know what was on there and where to get it online.

I should also look at it with a thermal camera TBH but don't have one.

What's a cheap thermal camera for looking at electronics and PCs overheating components/cables?

Edited by GRRRRRRR

If a PSU supplies the wrong voltage to a drive it will probably burn out the drive electronics.    We most frequently see this when users swap out modular supplies and try to use the cables from the old supply not realising there is a good chance they are not wired up the same.   The PSU is not a place one wants to try and save money.

• Thanks 1

Yes. I want to reuse this cheap PSU it costs 20$ less than the adapter cables to extend the sata connect count.

I am keeping an eye on it.

Hmm the freshly formatted "Array" has 20GB consumed by something? Under system - "system data" ?

Edited by GRRRRRRR

So I want to run the Apps on a 1x SSD Arrray. What about "Pool" and extensibility? What if I want to add space to an existing Array with all my apps?

I want to load the system with entertainment apps can you recommend what I can run on it?

I would like to keep this system with this free hardware

e8200 dual core OC undervolt 😎

"Array": 64gb ssd (40gb free after docker.img)

4gb ram

+ the rest of 20x fire hazard sata disks not yet in an array / pool until I do some data migrations

- automatically tv series and movies ?

- dvb stuff I can start with DVB-T2 and add dvb-c2 this will be very cool

- for backups ?

- other cool stuff maybe you can recommend?

Can we browse the apps on the web ? So far I find them only inside the Unraid WebGUI ?

• GRRRRRRR changed the title to unRAID-ing old-is-gold G41 chipset with junk parts, in a fireproof room. 🔥🔥🔥🔥
  • 5 months later...

This piece of rusted metal is hitting the target. 😈

Tightly packed. It's loaded with 12x 3.5" hard drives. Can stack up to 30 hard drives.

Noise suppression.

4x 120mm active cooling.

Dust suppression.

Zero upfront cost, 60W min, 110W continuous, up to 280W peak power consumption.

1 gigabit fiber uplink.

Automated content management per disk.

Can't buy such a thing even if you tried. Made it in few weeks from spare parts. Used a few power tools to mod the chassis.

No need to show you a pic, it looks like a PC on the outside, is a hellish monster on the inside.

• GRRRRRRR changed the title to I make a sleeper build from spare parts. Unleashing the extreme capacity monster.