Problems regarding Speedport Router and Docker bridge

loui
Go to solution Solved by philliphartmanjr,

Hello guys!

I am relatively new to Docker on Unraid and although I have a bit of a technical background I am struggling here.

First a bit of context:

I am using a Speedport 925V router.

This Router acts as a DHCP Server and hands out IP-Addresses in the range 192.168.2.100 - ...200

Afaik it is differentiating between devices by their MAC-Address. You can't forward a port to an ip address but only to a device.

The Unraid server has 192.168.2.2 assigned to it.

I am setting up Nginx Proxy Manager and the problem that occurs is that if I use br0 and assign a static IP (192.168.2.3) the router gets "confused" between Unraid and NPM. I guess it can't differentiate between the two because they have the same MAC-Address (?).

As I already mentioned I can't forward a port to a specific IP address but only to a device. If I am forwarding port 80 to device "Unraid", sometimes I end up on the Unraid login screen, sometimes on the default NPM site. It seems entirely random to me to which IP address it forwards to.

Now my question is obvious: how can I fix this?

Please tell me I don't have to buy a new router :D

I can of course use the host IP address and change the ports of the Unraid gui instead of bridging the network but that doesn't work for PiHole as that needs to have a separate IP address assigned to it. It also doesn't seem to me that this is the right approach to this problem.

Thanks in advance for a helping a beginner :D

• Solution
6 hours ago, loui said:

Hello guys!

I am relatively new to Docker on Unraid and although I have a bit of a technical background I am struggling here.

First a bit of context:

I am using a Speedport 925V router.

This Router acts as a DHCP Server and hands out IP-Addresses in the range 192.168.2.100 - ...200

Afaik it is differentiating between devices by their MAC-Address. You can't forward a port to an ip address but only to a device.

The Unraid server has 192.168.2.2 assigned to it.

I am setting up Nginx Proxy Manager and the problem that occurs is that if I use br0 and assign a static IP (192.168.2.3) the router gets "confused" between Unraid and NPM. I guess it can't differentiate between the two because they have the same MAC-Address (?).

As I already mentioned I can't forward a port to a specific IP address but only to a device. If I am forwarding port 80 to device "Unraid", sometimes I end up on the Unraid login screen, sometimes on the default NPM site. It seems entirely random to me to which IP address it forwards to.

Now my question is obvious: how can I fix this?

Please tell me I don't have to buy a new router :D

I can of course use the host IP address and change the ports of the Unraid gui instead of bridging the network but that doesn't work for PiHole as that needs to have a separate IP address assigned to it. It also doesn't seem to me that this is the right approach to this problem.

Thanks in advance for a helping a beginner :D

if you go to settings, Docker, docker custom network type make sure it is on macvlan. That should make it so your docker containers have a different mac address.

On 1/30/2023 at 3:56 AM, philliphartmanjr said:

if you go to settings, Docker, docker custom network type make sure it is on macvlan. That should make it so your docker containers have a different mac address.

Thank you so much. This is what solved it for me.

11 hours ago, JonathanM said:

macvlan causes crashes on some systems

I read about that too here. For anyone reading this thread and having it cause problems. For me its working fine, at least I haven't noticed anything strange.