unRaid Clean Re-Install

becose
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Forgive me if this has been posted before. I received the following message -

Unable to purchase key for this GUID

GUID, , may already have a key or it has been blacklisted

Is there something I can do to activate my unRaid Server with my current key?

Very Appreciative,

T.Bennett

Why do you think you want a clean install anyway? Unraid is already a "clean install" at each boot.

The OS is unpacked fresh from archives on flash, into RAM, at each boot, and it runs completely in RAM. Think of it as firmware. These OS archives on flash are never changed by anything you do with your server, except they are replaced when a new release is installed.

All of your configuration (settings from the webUI including disk assignments) are stored in the config folder of flash so they can be reapplied at boot.

• Thanks 1

I messed up my cache pools and Fix Problems kept reporting the data is in the other pool, change it back or move files with Dynamix.  Since I only had the server up and running for less than week with no data as I learn to use it as my NAS and maybe Plex Server later.  I figured I'd simply start over.

My configuration:

ASUS 97m-E w/i7-4770 with 32 GB non-ECC and 16TB of storage with two SSDs one being an nvme.

• 9 months later...
On 1/30/2023 at 1:45 PM, itimpi said:

If you really want to start clean you could just restore the key file from the config folder in the backup to the config folder on the flash drive.

Hey so I just tried this, not sure where I messed up.  

I basically want a fresh install as well, getting errors at boot since doing a CPU upgrade. Would just prefer to wipe everything except for the data on my array.

I flashed a new USB drive (my old one is about 7 years old I think), and then copied over my .key file from the old USB to the new. Unraid says its registered to the wrong UUID or something. Looking at the steps on the website - I need to email them?!?!

Also, If i just select the disks exactly as they were before during setup (as parity, 1, 2 ,3 etc) then will all my data still be there, or will it not understand how data is stored across drives? Should I also copy over some config files about my array?

I want a fresh start with plugins, iommu groups, whatever its bugging me about at boot, etc. 

3 hours ago, fhj74784 said:

I flashed a new USB drive (my old one is about 7 years old I think), and then copied over my .key file from the old USB to the new. Unraid says its registered to the wrong UUID or something. Looking at the steps on the website - I need to email them?!?!

If you have not done a licence transfer within the last year then you should be offered the option to do an automated transfer withut the need to contact support.

3 hours ago, fhj74784 said:

Also, If i just select the disks exactly as they were before during setup (as parity, 1, 2 ,3 etc) then will all my data still be there, or will it not understand how data is stored across drives? Should I also copy over some config files about my array?

Unraid will recognise data drives that have previously been used by Unraid and leave their contents intact.   If you are not ABSOLUTELY certain of which drives are parity1 and/or parity2 then you could initially leave them unassigned as getting those wrong at this stage wipes their content,   Once you are happy you can assign them later to build new parity based on the current data drive set.