Seagate Satellite

kizer

I bought this last week for a pending trip. I'm planning on taking a drive down the coast and having two boys that are well for the lack of a better word a bit technology spoiled. ;)

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/goflex-satellite

Anyways I'm able to easily stream videos to (2) iPads and an (1) iTouch really easy. The reason for myself purchasing this is I'm not a HUGE mac fan, but I have found the use of the iTouch and iPad in my house, but I really, really hate iTunes. So this gave me an escape since honestly I was tired of syncing movies I was forced to rip to mp4 or m4v and using that dreadful iTunes app. Then I had to decide which device to I put what movies on and depending on which device I have it was either 16, 32 or 64gigs.

Now I just use Handbrake or use the coverter built into Airplay and then drag and drop onto the drive and stream. So far I've noticed it works pretty well with the iPad and iTouch using the Seagate app, but you can just use the web interface since what you are pretty much forced to do is connect to its built in wifi router and view the content. Using the web app you are presented with a location bar across the top of the video opposed to full screen.

I used it with my android phone and it appears that Seagate has screwed up the latest app so it doesn't even work anymore. Luckly I have the older version but it doesn't appear to stream in lanscape mode giving you a smaller video.

My wifes work Playbook seems to work pretty well too, but with her device she is forced to download the file first then play locally, but she said that doesn't bother her since shes not stuck staying within 150 feet of the device. LOL I tested it and it works flawlessly within 70feet of the device, but I'll try getting farther away from it some day.

On the device there are several little videos that explain how its used and other ways of watching video and from what it mentioned you can use Oplayer to view other than just mp4 and m4v files. Works fine with my Xvids and Dvix files. ;)

From some reviews I read some users complained about how hard it was to use the sync software that came with it. Primarly the mac guys so I would advise if you are a mac user beware and I do believe the drive comes pre-formatted NTFS