Unregistered - flash device error (ENOFLASH7)

Zeroeth
Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hi!

I had a strange issue today. All my VMs were suddenly unavailable over LAN (could'nt ping them or access them via Guacamole) but they were accesible via VNC. Dockers were working just fine.

On checking the logs I saw the error which is roughly the time when this issue occurred.

Unregistered - flash device error (ENOFLASH7)

However, everything started working again within an hour.

I've also checked the disk log information of the flash (sda) which shows a device_read_smart error.

Jan  6 23:47:36 Azraj kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 60125184 512-byte logical blocks: (30.8 GB/28.7 GiB)
Jan  6 23:47:36 Azraj kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
Jan  6 23:47:36 Azraj kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
Jan  6 23:47:36 Azraj kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Jan  6 23:47:36 Azraj kernel: sda: sda1
Jan  6 23:47:36 Azraj kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
Jan  6 23:50:04 Azraj  emhttpd: SanDisk_Cruzer_Force_03023305072622175750-0:0 (sda) 512 60125184
Jan  6 23:50:04 Azraj  emhttpd: import flash device: sda
Jan  6 23:50:04 Azraj  emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sda
Jan 30 15:01:06 Azraj  emhttpd: error: device_read_smart, 8372: Cannot allocate memory (12): device_spinup: stream did not open: sda

My immediate concern is that the Flash drive is failing or worse failed already. This Server is barely a month old and I have this same USB brand in another 6-7 servers running Unraid without any problems related to the USB till date whatsoever.

I've attached the diagnostics herewith and would really appreciate some insight into this to understand if the USB needs to be replaced or is this random and related to something else?

Thanks in advance!

azraj-diagnostics-20230130-2232.zip

Do you have a current backup of flash for this server?

Unrelated, but your appdata, domains, system shares are on the array. Ideally, these would be all on fast pool and set to stay there so Docker/VM performance isn't impacted by slower parity, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

What is the purpose of the 2 shares you have cache:only?

Also segfaults from guacd, I assume a docker.

Do you have a current backup of flash for this server?

Yes, I have the backup on "My Servers" as of 30/01/2023 3:52:05 PM and have downloaded it just now as well.

Unrelated, but your appdata, domains, system shares are on the array. Ideally, these would be all on fast pool and set to stay there so Docker/VM performance isn't impacted by slower parity, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

What is the purpose of the 2 shares you have cache:only?

Yes, I'm aware of this. :) 

I use the Cache drive solely for VMs and the 2 shares that are cache only are for the VMs.

Also segfaults from guacd, I assume a docker.

Yep, I'm using Apache Guacamole and I see this on all the instances I have for this docker on my other servers as well.

• 3 weeks later...

:: UPDATE ::

Hi!

So I have been continuosly monitoring the server logs since the last post.

I did not restart the Server or replace the USB as everything was working fine and I wanted to make sure that this was not some random error.

Unfortunately, the same happened today - after 18 days (Diagnostics attached).

There was disruption in accessing the VMs from the Apache Guacamole docker service and 1 VM just shutdown abruptly (don't know if it's related, but my best guess is that it is related to this issue). I just had to restart the docker and everything was fine again. All this was within 15 minutes :). 

I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the USB, but no choice now.

I'm still wondering what might be the actual cause for this error message since the USB is working and accesible... Any insights based on the diagnostics would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!

azraj-diagnostics-20230217-1741.zip

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Recreate flash drive as a new install of whatever version. Copy config folder from your backup.

Not clear the guacd segfaults are related.

Have you done memtest lately?

Thanks trurl!

I will be replacing the USB soon as suggested.

The guacd segfaults are there on my other Unraid servers (where the Apache Guacamole docker is installed) as well, doubt if that is related.

Haven't done a Memtest yet. Can't take the Server offline.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

I didn't end up recreating the Flash drive as I wanted to restart the Server first and check.

I finally restarted the Server yesterday evening (after 75 days total) and everything is working well. Can't see any issues with the flash drive.

If this happens again then I will go ahead and recreate the flash and then check again.

Thanks for the support!