LSI SAS 9207-8i Problem

I just picked up this card (https://www.ebay.com/itm/284754322881) and it looks like it's been flashed in IT Mode. I installed it in my Unraid box, fired up the system, and everything worked. For two days. Suddenly today, the drives connected to the controller card were no longer recognized. During my troubleshooting, I did see the device under System Devices so it seems to be recognized by Unraid, yet the drives aren't registering.

Any idea why it worked for a few days and then stopped? I've attached the Diagnostic file, but I'm not sure it will be shown as I pulled the card and replaced it with the Marvell PCIe one I was using to get the system back up temporarily.

buhmonte-server-diagnostics-20230130-1913.zip

HBA appears to be initializing correctly, though the firmware is quite old, but since it has a BIOS installed you can check there, if the drives are not detected in the HBA BIOS they also won't appear in Unraid, in that case it's either a cable/connection problem or there's some problem with the HBA.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

HBA appears to be initializing correctly, though the firmware is quite old, but since it has a BIOS installed you can check there, if the drives are not detected in the HBA BIOS they also won't appear in Unraid, in that case it's either a cable/connection problem or there's some problem with the HBA.

I'm an idiot. It was a cable issue. I'd checked all the SATA cables going into the drives but not the SAS cable in the LSI card itself. I must not have pushed it in all the way and it had come loose. Two days troubleshooting over a loose cable.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Cool it with a fan put some mx-4/5/6 and a copper heatsink if you have or a CPU heatsink if it fits etc etc mod the cooling and then try the different things.

Let me know how it goes, I have the same, a NEC one flashed to supermicro firmware I think (whoever released the latest version). No it's Lenovo firmware.

The battery is a fire hazard though but I am thinking for kinky reasons to keep on using the battery inside a fireproof bag. 😈