SSD - Cache
4TB - Array (encrypted)
No Parity

New Set up

NVME - Cache
5TB - Array
4TB - Array
5TB - Parity

I would like to add drives to give myself parity, at the same time id like to un-encrypt my 4TB so I can have the array start automatically.

What is the best method of doing so?

Since you don't have parity currently, the easiest path would be to add all the drives, format the new 5TB data drive as unencrypted, then copy the encrypted 4TB to the newly formatted 5TB. Then you can reformat the 4TB to an unencrypted file system.

Before you shut down the current system for the last time be sure to disable the VM and Docker systems, and set the array to NOT autostart. That way you can copy any system files and appdata from the current SSD pool to the new NVME when you boot up the new system.

Hi @JonathanM thanks for the response. Sadly I didnt see this until now. I ended up swapping over last night. Stopped dockers and disabled. Set all shares to use cache and used mover. Then swapped ssd for nvme and set all cache preferences back to how they were and used mover again. That went smoothly yo be honest with only plex and frigate that caused issues, but i think that's because i didn't have a dedicated graphics card before and now I do.

I havent yet received the 5TB drives but will this week so my 4TB remains as it stands encrypted. My concern with moving data across to another drive is that i dont want to mess up any file paths in docker templates.. but i assume the share names remain the same in the array no matter how many drives the array is made up from?

I am guessing best way to move data drive to drive is with midnight commander?

Edited by Tim Knowlden