Dual parity drive upgrade question

I have read over the wiki process but am still not 100% confident.

Would someone mind confirming that I am taking the correct steps?

Current drive layout

• Parity 1 (10TB)
  • Parity 2 (10TB)

• Data Drive 1 (10TB)
  • Data Drive 2 (10TB)
  • Data Drive 3 (10TB)
  • Data Drive 4 (4TB)

Desired drive layout

• Parity 1 (14TB)
  • Parity 2 (14TB)

• Data Drive 1 (10TB)
  • Data Drive 2 (10TB)
  • Data Drive 3 (10TB)
  • Data Drive 4 (10TB) * old parity 1
  • Data Drive 5 (10TB) * old parity 2

My understanding is that I should remove current Parity 1 drive (10TB) from it's assignment and then assign one of the new 14TB drives. This will rebuild parity for the array. After that is completed, I then remove current Parity 2 drive (10TB) from it's assignment and then assign the other new 14TB drive. Allow this parity to rebuild and then I can assign both old parity drive to data slot 4 and 5 respectively. There is currently no data on the Data Drive 4 (4TB) so a copy wouldn't be necessary.

Does this seem like the correct process or can I do more steps at the same time to reduce the overall time to complete the process?

Thank you for any assistance holding my hand through this.

Mostly correct, except you have to rebuild disk4 since it is already part of parity. Then new slot disk5 will have to be cleared so parity will remain valid.

You could do all this in one rebuild with New Config, but you wouldn't have valid parity until it had completed rebuilding both.

You're going to have to rebuild disk4 since it has data on it. If it were empty you could have New Config everything to your desired layout and rebuild parity.

You can do them one at a time as you suggest, rebuild each parity, then rebuild disk4, then add disk5. Or...

You can rebuild both parity to the larger disks in one step, then replace/rebuild disk4 and add disk5 at the same time since you have dual parity. Then format disk5.

Shouldn't be much risk doing it in fewer steps. Parity has none of your data, and you can keep original disk4 with its contents until you are satisfied with the results.

Be sure to double check all connections.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Additional (possibly dumb) question.

Can I simply keep disk4 where it is (with all data intact) and replace disk3 (the 4TB drive with no data on it) with the old parity 10TB drive (formatted) and add the second old parity 10TB drive (formatted) as Disk5? I have fixed the drive layout that I displayed above to accurately reflect the drive assignments.

Current drive layout

Parity 1 (10TB)

Parity 2 (10TB)

Data Drive 1 (10TB)

Data Drive 2 (10TB)

Data Drive 3 (4TB)

Data Drive 4 (10TB)

Desired drive layout

Parity 1 (14TB)

Parity 2 (14TB)

Data Drive 1 (10TB)

Data Drive 2 (10TB)

Data Drive 3 (10TB) * old parity 1

Data Drive 4 (10TB)

Data Drive 5 (10TB) * old parity 2

Edited by 3560freak

Since disk3 is the small disk of course that is the one you want to replace. And since it has no data on it, you can New Config everything to your desired layout, rebuild both parity, and then format disks 3,5 (former parities). Simpler if you format them after they are in the array, just make sure when you check the box to format that they are the only disks listed for formatting.