Control case fan based on GPU temperature

Go to solution Solved by offroadguy56,

unRAID version 6.9.2

I am looking at getting a datacenter GPU for ai image training for cheap. Much cheaper than what is normally available as a normal graphics card. It has no fan or headers on the graphics card board. I plan to 3D print a duct and attach my own fan and connect it to my motherboard's case fan header. I have Dynamix Autofan and temperature plugins. There doesn't seem to be any option to reference a specific temperature, I just see mainboard or CPU. And Autofan just lists options for connected drives.

Is there a plugin or some software I could run at unRAID's level to control a case fan determined by the temperature of a specific probe, like the GPU?

The only other solutions I can think of is a.) external fan controller with some auto fan curve and a temp probe stuffed into the GPU. or b.) USB fan controller, like Corsair Commander, and pass the USB device to a windows VM.

The performance of the external fan controllers I can find on amazon aren't great. Users complain of not being able to adjust the fan curve or that the curve is incorrect for their use case. And for my Windows VM, I am not able to currently pass through fan speed and temperature info for the software without that USB controller.

And of course last resort is just power the fan at 100%. But this server is in a public space in the house, I have no server room near a LAN jack. So I've only been able to keep it around with how little noise it makes.

Edited by offroadguy56
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

I ended up finding my solution:

Corsair Commander Pro for USB control of a single PWM fan. Pass the USB device through to the VM.
iCUE unfortunately would not detect my GPU temperature. Instead I used this software which detected both the fan and GPU temperature. https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

Not the 100% free and purely software solution I was hoping for, but it works.