IP Not Set with New Managed Switch

Go to solution Solved by chris.olson,

Hey All, 

I'm pretty new to unRaid and hoping to get some help with an issue I'm facing related to my ip address not being set and not being able to access the GUI. To give a little backstory, I periodically had an issue where my unRaid server somehow would knock out my mesh router nodes that are setup with ethernet backhaul using an unmanaged switch. I have not idea why that issue happened but the resolution was always to reboot the server and then everything went back to normal for a while until it happened again maybe a couple weeks later.. An IT friend of mine suggested getting a managed switch to solve the problem so I just got that and after plugging in my Unraid server I get the console message about the IP not being set and I can't access the GUI. I don't have the slightest clue what's going on. If I try and ping the server, I don't get any response. My server also is not showing up on my router as a connected device. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated! I've attached the diagnostics files so hopefully that can give some insight. 

Thanks in advance! 

haven-diagnostics-20230203-0035.zip

Feb  3 00:33:48 Haven  dhcpcd[1151]: br0: probing for an IPv4LL address
Feb  3 00:33:53 Haven  dhcpcd[1151]: br0: using IPv4LL address 169.254.175.89
Feb  3 00:33:53 Haven  dhcpcd[1151]: br0: adding route to 169.254.0.0/16
Feb  3 00:33:53 Haven  dhcpcd[1151]: br0: adding default route

Server is not getting an IP from the DHCP server, which is usually your router, but can also be a managed switch or whatever you are using as the DHCP server, need to check that.

• Solution

Thanks for the input. I think I got to the bottom of it! my server ethernet port is a 10G port and the switch can be either 1G or 2.5G. I found out that if I kept it at auto for the speed setting it would constantly connect and disconnect. If I set it to 2.5G Full is would not connect at all but at 1G if connected fine and everything is working again. Not 100% sure why that would be. Maybe there some issue with throttling down a 10G port to 2.5 rather than down to 1G...beats me but at least I got something working now! 

2,5G is really evil. Dont buy such castrated switches!!!

In reality 2,5G is just 10G with 1data+3pauses. Your Unraid thinks it can do full 10G but of course, it fails.

You may try to activate Flow Control for the 2,5G ports in your switch, this could pace Unraid out and the connection maybe stable then.

But you should better buy a real 10G switch, much less stress!