Should I Use ZFS for My Home NAS? (Louwrentius 2016)

peterg23

https://louwrentius.com/should-i-use-zfs-for-my-home-nas.html

"When building your own home NAS, you may be advised to use ZFS for the file system. I would only recommend using ZFS if you understand it well and you accept its limitation. It must make sense for your particular situation and your skill level. I would like to make the case that for a lot of people, ZFS offers little benefit given their circumstances and for those people, I think it is totally reasonable to select a different platform......In this article, I'm not arguing against ZFS itself, it's an amazing file system with interesting features, but it may not be the best option for your particular situation."

Edited by peterg23
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the link.

The article has been posted a quite a while ago but it's still very relevant to the current situation.

"...I sense that people not well-versed into Linux or FreeBSD may sometimes feel pressured into building a NAS that they can't handle when problems arise. In that case, opting for ZFS could cause more trouble than it would solve."

So true!!!

TrueNAS proponents keep trying to steer as many n00bs as they can towards TrueNAS Scale now by spreading FUD about n00b-freindly Unraid, basically setting them up for an unnecessary expense at first that often leads to a disappointment and then an eventual failure, especially for those who've never wandered off the Windows ecosystem and have no interest and/or time in learning anything Linux.

Edited by Lolight
  • 1 month later...