Sabnzbd unMenu package

I used the .conf from "New unMENU packages for SABnzbd, Sick Beard and Couch Potato" thread (mrmachine). Just SABnzbd on version 4.7. I installed everything to the flash drive and have it loading on boot through unMENU. I am trying to change the temp download and completed download to /mnt/disk3/ through SABnzbd UI under config. When I click save change, i get a white screen that says  "Cannot create download_dir folder /mnt/disk3/_nzbTemp". That's the only error i receive. Seems like SAB doesn't see any of my /mnt/* drives. I obviously can update the folders to /boot/* without a problem. I don't have a cache drive, and really don't want to put one in just for this application. Thanks for the help.

OK, those are not my packages... and frankly I don't want to support those.  They are older and out of date.

If you want some help from me I will offer it for my packages, but not those.  Delete COMPLETELY any install of the old packages and then download my .conf files and install from there.  If you have problems after installing using my .conf files then come back here and let me know.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, those are not my packages... and frankly I don't want to support those.  They are older and out of date.

If you want some help from me I will offer it for my packages, but not those.  Delete COMPLETELY any install of the old packages and then download my .conf files and install from there.  If you have problems after installing using my .conf files then come back here and let me know.

Ok, I will install yours tonight when I get home. Just one question before I install... I should be able to install to my flash and have my temp/complete dirs in any /mnt/*, correct? I just want to clear that up before I move forward. Thanks!

Ok, I will install yours tonight when I get home. Just one question before I install... I should be able to install to my flash and have my temp/complete dirs in any /mnt/*, correct? I just want to clear that up before I move forward. Thanks!

No, installing on the flash drive does not allow for the proper setting of the ownership of the executable files.  I don't specifically disallow it but there is a reason the cache drive is used.  The FAT32 file system on the flash drive has no concept of file ownership and permissions.  Do not place the log files on the flash drive either.  Installing these apps to an array drive will keep the drive spun up, but so will the downloads folder if you are downloading something.  Please install the apps to an array disk to ensure proper operation.

No, installing on the flash drive does not allow for the proper setting of the ownership of the executable files.  I don't specifically disallow it but there is a reason the cache drive is used.  The FAT32 file system on the flash drive has no concept of file ownership and permissions.  Do not place the log files on the flash drive either.  Installing these apps to an array drive will keep the drive spun up, but so will the downloads folder if you are downloading something.  Please install the apps to an array disk to ensure proper operation.

Ok... so installed your script. Since I didn't have the latest unMENU, I had to add missing dependencies to the .conf. You are right as the version I was using before was outdated... I didn't even realize that when I installed (i was very tired). Against your recommendation, I did install onto the flash. I'll do some testing to see how it works. I am now able to choose any /mnt/* to download to. Phew. I was actually worried about that for some reason. Other than that, so far so good. After a few days of testing, I'll modify the .conf again to get the latest version of SAB (0.6.9). Thanks for the help!

Ok... so installed your script. Since I didn't have the latest unMENU, I had to add missing dependencies to the .conf. You are right as the version I was using before was outdated... I didn't even realize that when I installed (i was very tired). Against your recommendation, I did install onto the flash. I'll do some testing to see how it works. I am now able to choose any /mnt/* to download to. Phew. I was actually worried about that for some reason. Other than that, so far so good. After a few days of testing, I'll modify the .conf again to get the latest version of SAB (0.6.9). Thanks for the help!

Not sure what you had to change with the .conf file?  If you could be more specific I will see if it is something I need to change.

You should have had to update to the latest unMenu and then use my .conf should have worked.

Short of the fact that the .conf attached does not use the 0.6.9 version of SAB there should not be much that needs to change.

Not sure what you had to change with the .conf file?  If you could be more specific I will see if it is something I need to change.

You should have had to update to the latest unMenu and then use my .conf should have worked.

Short of the fact that the .conf attached does not use the 0.6.9 version of SAB there should not be much that needs to change.

I wasn't specific on what was missing because in this thread you wrote "you must have the latest unMENU" which I don't have. So i added things like python, cheetah, sqlite, ect. No need for a change on your end. I just didn't want to do two updates at once... unMENU and install SAB. That's just me being me :).

I wasn't specific on what was missing because in this thread you wrote "you must have the latest unMENU" which I don't have. So i added things like python, cheetah, sqlite, ect. No need for a change on your end. I just didn't want to do two updates at once... unMENU and install SAB. That's just me being me :).

you do know there is a check for updates button on the user scripts page in unMenu right?  it is a couple of clicks to update to the latest unMenu...

I'm not sure if it's posted anywhere (I did have a quick look), but what are the pros and cons of installing stuff where and the switches ?

i.e.

* Install package on Flash drive or Cache drive.  What are the pros and cons of each ?

* Logs to Var - I now know that makes sense as it allows me to shutdown the array without the cache drive remaining open.

* Select Reinstall on system startup.  Is that just auto-start or a full install ?  Would that explain my missing config settings every restart ?  What are the pros and cons of reinstalling every time the array server starts ?

you do know there is a check for updates button on the user scripts page in unMenu right?  it is a couple of clicks to update to the latest unMenu...

but then it replaced your script with an older one :P

sabnzbd-unmenu-package.conf :Revision: 242  Date: 2011-08-06 10:34:39 -0400 (Sat, 06 Aug 2011)

but then it replaced your script with an older one :P

sabnzbd-unmenu-package.conf :Revision: 242  Date: 2011-08-06 10:34:39 -0400 (Sat, 06 Aug 2011)

Correct, but do the update and then copy the newer .conf over the top of the old one.

if i update sab by hand is it going to have any issues?

The version check that the package does WILL most likely be wrong, which will cause it to try and install the one it thinks it should.  The install I do, tries to take into account this, but I can't promise anything.

I have not updated my install of SABnzb on my main machine as of yet... if it aint broke don't fix it.

Just wanted to give a quick update... so far so good. Haven't had any hiccups with having SAB installed to my flash drive. I know permissions were mentioned as a possible issue, but I haven't run into any. Best part is that all my drives will stay idle until I start a download... and I have RSS feeds setup to check every 30 mins. I guess my only concern is the I/O on the flash. From what I understand, majority of the I/O for this package is in memory. Not really sure when the flash I/O comes into play. Overall, very very happy. Wish I did this a long time ago. I just hate having machines sitting on and idle with only one function... now it's got two functions. Thanks again.

Just wanted to give a quick update... so far so good. Haven't had any hiccups with having SAB installed to my flash drive. I know permissions were mentioned as a possible issue, but I haven't run into any. Best part is that all my drives will stay idle until I start a download... and I have RSS feeds setup to check every 30 mins. I guess my only concern is the I/O on the flash. From what I understand, majority of the I/O for this package is in memory. Not really sure when the flash I/O comes into play. Overall, very very happy. Wish I did this a long time ago. I just hate having machines sitting on and idle with only one function... now it's got two functions. Thanks again.

Glad it is working for you.  Watch the write count on the flash drive, is my only suggestion.

I'm not sure if it's posted anywhere (I did have a quick look), but what are the pros and cons of installing stuff where and the switches ?

i.e.

* Install package on Flash drive or Cache drive.  What are the pros and cons of each ?

* Logs to Var - I now know that makes sense as it allows me to shutdown the array without the cache drive remaining open.

* Select Reinstall on system startup.  Is that just auto-start or a full install ?  Would that explain my missing config settings every restart ?  What are the pros and cons of reinstalling every time the array server starts ?

I am having trouble with my mising config settings on restart also. I can shut down sabnzb and restart from the unmenu scripts and sabnzb settings will be retrieved. But with sickbeard I have to re-enter all my settings even after a shut down/restart.

i.e.

* Install package on Flash drive or Cache drive.  What are the pros and cons of each ?

* Select Reinstall on system startup.  Is that just auto-start or a full install ?  Would that explain my missing config settings every restart ?  What are the pros and cons of reinstalling every time the array server starts ?

I am having trouble with my mising config settings on restart also. I can shut down sabnzb and restart from the unmenu scripts and sabnzb settings will be retrieved. But with sickbeard I have to re-enter all my settings even after a shut down/restart.

Have you added the line in your go script telling the server not to load unmenu/programs until the array has been started?  That fixed the same problem for me.  I can't give you the line now since I'm on my phone but I'll get it done tomorrow.

# Wait for the array to start... (before installing any packages that expect the array to be fully started)
until `cat /proc/mdcmd 2>/dev/null | grep -q -a "STARTED" ` ; do echo ">>>waiting..." ; sleep 1 ; done ; echo ">>>STARTED."

Edit: updated with the line from the go script.  Credit to purko and Rajahal from this topic.  At least that's where I found it.

Try adding that line after:

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

and before anything else in your go script. 

The new package I have but not tested yet should do that for you. I create everything in a massive while loop and check for stuff in /mnt before continuing with the install/start of the application.

Was that included in the most recent/previous packages?  I only ask because the method I described worked for me when I kept losing my configs.

P.S. - Thanks for all the work you put into the packages.  I've taken advantage of all you do and am very appreciative.

The new package I have but not tested yet should do that for you. I create everything in a massive while loop and check for stuff in /mnt before continuing with the install/start of the application.

Was that included in the most recent/previous packages?  I only ask because the method I described worked for me when I kept losing my configs.

P.S. - Thanks for all the work you put into the packages.  I've taken advantage of all you do and am very appreciative.

Not as of yet.  I have the package mostly ready... I just need to find the time to test.  I should be able to do that by this weekend.  I have a stack of packages to test so that is probably what I am going to try and focus on.

So the update SABnzbd .conf file is now attached to the first post.  I have attempted to fix a couple of issues reported here... we shall see.

I am also logging some of the install steps to the syslog now, so hopefully that will help me find a problem if need be.

Please report back here if it is working and if you do have issues PLEASE read through the first post in this thread and follow the instructions on posting the stuff I asked for.