New Hard Drive Not Showing Up In Unraid

smush

I have 3 12TB shucked WD Elements drives that are working and have been doing for at least a year in my NAS.

I have since swapped my NAS over into a bigger case and added a 4th shucked WD Elements drive but this one is a 20TB that I plan to make my new parity drive except it isn't showing up in Unraid and I'm not sure why this is.

I have put tape over the 3 pins like I did the other 3 drives but I'm wondering if it is one the drives that doesn't need tape but even if that is the case that shouldn't be the issue right? The only other thing that comes to mind is the tape maybe got misaligned when connecting the PSU power. I have used 2 PSU power cables for the 4 drives with 2 drives on each cable. I've also tried connecting the drive not showing up to a different SATA port but that didn't change anything.

It was working before I shucked it and no it wasn't showing in Bios however I've got it working now but I don't know if it's because either

I noticed the tape had slid down the pins when I originally plugged in the S-ATA power cable leaving the 3 pins partially exposed or that the S-ATA power cable I used has a few S-ATA plugs and the one I had originally connected when it wasn't working was different on the inside of the plug to the others on the cable and I'm not sure what type of plug it was as it says S-ATA like the others do?

I'm having difficulty getting the side of the case on because one of the the PSU S-ATA cables on the HDD cage is sticking up out the case too much. The other drives are fine as those S-ATA PSU plugs have the wires coming out the sides but this other one the wires come out the top which creates a buldge due to the braided cable.

I have a cable from another PSU I can use but I read you aren't meant to mix match PSU cables? So I'm looking at ordering this cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E7PA306/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as my PSU is a Be Quiet Straight Power 11 550w Gold will this be ok to use as I notice Be Quiet have different models of S-ATA PSU cables such as CS-6740 and CS-3640 and others too.

You can't assume pinout on one model of PSU is same as another model. If you are clever you could probably modify to get the correct pinout. Otherwise unless the manufacturer specifically says a cable is compatible I wouldn't risk it. You could get wrong voltages in wrong places and fry the drive circuit board.

1 hour ago, smush said:

It was working before I shucked it and no it wasn't showing in Bios however I've got it working now but I don't know if it's because either

I noticed the tape had slid down the pins when I originally plugged in the S-ATA power cable leaving the 3 pins partially exposed or that the S-ATA power cable I used has a few S-ATA plugs and the one I had originally connected when it wasn't working was different on the inside of the plug to the others on the cable and I'm not sure what type of plug it was as it says S-ATA like the others do?

I'm having difficulty getting the side of the case on because one of the the PSU S-ATA cables on the HDD cage is sticking up out the case too much. The other drives are fine as those S-ATA PSU plugs have the wires coming out the sides but this other one the wires come out the top which creates a buldge due to the braided cable.

I have a cable from another PSU I can use but I read you aren't meant to mix match PSU cables? So I'm looking at ordering this cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E7PA306/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as my PSU is a Be Quiet Straight Power 11 550w Gold will this be ok to use as I notice Be Quiet have different models of S-ATA PSU cables such as CS-6740 and CS-3640 and others too.

I snipped the 3.3V wire between the PSU and the first SATA power plug.

AFAIK it doesn't serve any useful purpose and if really needed to I could reconnect.

Saves all the hassle with tape.

Under technical data you can check compaible accesories > Power Cables

Compatible Cables  and seems that one CS-6740 is compatible

• Like 1
21 hours ago, trurl said:

You can't assume pinout on one model of PSU is same as another model. If you are clever you could probably modify to get the correct pinout. Otherwise unless the manufacturer specifically says a cable is compatible I wouldn't risk it. You could get wrong voltages in wrong places and fry the drive circuit board.

The Be Quiet website for the additional S-ATA power cable I bought does state 'For all modular be quiet! power supplies to really finish off your PC build.'

How else would someone go about aquiring additional PSU cables if they ran out? I also see PC modders frequently replacing their cables with other specialty brands to color match their setups.

Side panel is back on. Now to go about switching over the parity drive.

Edited by smush
3 hours ago, smush said:

The Be Quiet website for the additional S-ATA power cable I bought does state 'For all modular be quiet! power supplies to really finish off your PC build.'

On 2/15/2023 at 3:11 PM, trurl said:

the manufacturer specifically says a cable is compatible

Should be OK then.