Any Known Issues with PowerEdge Servers?

bitphire

Greetings,

I just ordered a Dell PowerEdge R720XD Server | 2x E5-2680v2 2.8Ghz 20 Cores | 128GB | H710 | 2x 3TB SAS . I currently have UnRaid running on what was my gaming rig. I would like to have my gaming rig back for gaming. (For the most part the Windows 10 VM games OK). I assume this is way overkill but seemed like a good price compared to what I was looking at spending to build another machine.

This UnRaid is currently running Emby/Radarr/Sonarr ect, Windows 10 VM, and Ubuntu Server 22.04 VM. I would like to move everything except the Windows 10 VM over to this new server if possible.

Just wondering if these type of servers have any know issues or are even supported by UnRaid.

On 2/17/2023 at 5:11 PM, bitphire said:

Just wanted to add that I also purchased a Dell H310 mini monolithic K09CJ with LSI 9211-8i P20 IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID off of EBay after vendor recommendation.

Hi, the PowerEdge should have no issues running Unraid, I've seen plenty of users with them.

The main issues would be ensuring the raid card is in IT mode (as per the ebay one), effectively that makes it a dumb controller so Unraid can easily manage the drives. If it's in RAID mode 'IR' it doesn't present the disks directly to Unraid and that can cause issues.

The server already comes with a raid card 'Perc 710' which can be flashed to IT mode so be aware it's likely to be in raid mode when you get it.

The only real issues are that this is quite old hardware, especailly the V1, V2 Xeon E5 CPU's and with dual 10 core CPU's power consumption is likely to be relatively high.

And being a rack server it is likely to be noisy to dissipate that heat.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the response.

I bought the H310 as it is already flashed and vendor claimed the 710 wasn’t the best to flash.

Hello, we don’t flash cards. Also H710 is not the best do to. H310s are easier and also an ebay user flashes them and sells them as is.

I’m not too concerned on power consumption yet.

The noise I am hoping to solve by replacing fans with quieter ones if needed. My work area is pretty secluded from where people hangout though.

Rack, rails, pfsense router/firewall, 310 card, and server should all hopefully be here by Friday. This will be my first “real server”. I’m sure I’ll be back with more beginner questions.

53 minutes ago, bitphire said:

The noise I am hoping to solve by replacing fans with quieter ones if needed. My work area is pretty secluded from where people hangout though.

Don't need to replace fans, should be able to get quiet yourself.

You can adjust fan offset in idrac down to 0% offset, if its still loud its probably kicking on the third-party PCIe card fan profile (does this when you add consumer GPUs etc).

You can disable that with these steps:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-au/000135682/how-to-disable-the-third-party-pcie-card-default-cooling-response-on-poweredge-13g-servers

ipmitool was previously available using nerdpack, newer unraid releases you use nerdtools which should have it also.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...