BigChungus

Chassis: RSV-L4500U

Chassis Fans: 3x Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120mm Fan

Motherboard: MSI MEG X399 CREATION

CPU: Threadripper 2990WX

CPU Cooler: NH-U12S TR4-SP3 (Originally purchased NH-U14S TR4-SP3 -- Didnt fit)

RAM: 8 x Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 8 GB DDR4-3000 CL15 (had 4 sticks from previous build, reused and purchased additional)

GPU: EVGA FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB (Originally ASUS GTX1060 -- 1080 actually fits better!)

PSU: Silverstone Strider 1500W 80+ Gold (Free from work many years ago)

NIC:  Mellanox MCX311A

HBA: LSI LSI00244 9201-16i (Upgraded to LSI 9300-16i -- Putting this in tomorrow!)

NVMe Expansion: ASUS ‎HYPER M.2 X16 GEN 4 Card

HDD Bay: 3 x Kingwin SSHD HD Enclosure Internal Five Hot Swap Bay (upgraded to SST-FS305-12G -- why upgrade? because SAS3 > SAS2)

Rack: SYSRACKS 12U? I dont actually recall which one it is! If you do look at SYSRACK racks, I 100% recommend. It's worth the price for an enclosed rack. I recently purchased a home and decided to go open rack ( 27U -- also going in tomorrow!) 

Current Array: 9 Drives, 1 Parity (90 TB Array) -- Still have 6 bays free. Eventually will upgrade parity to SAS drives and migrate the drives over to array.

Cache Pools: 2 x 500GB SN570 (Docker/apps) , 2 x 2 x Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB (Download cache/VM)

Overall, I would definitely like to go 3rd gen threadripper but the price was WAY too high at the time of purchase (still too high IMO)

I will likely go with an Asrock Rack board once I do upgrade though!

Primary Usecase: Nextcloud, Overseerr, Radar/Sonarr, Mastodon, Home Assistant -- Generally anything I want to use a computer for I will throw on BigChungus

What really started me on this was the video on LTT's channel where they demo'd a machine learning application utilizing an ASUS coral AI accelerator. Eventually I will 100% purchase one of those and will feed my current UI cameras into some program that identifies people (this requires more PCI lanes/ports than my current setup offers though -- sounds like I need more upgrades!)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, when I went from 32GB - 64GB RAM, I had to Purchase new 2 x 15MM ( 1 x NF-A12x15 and 1 x NF-A12x15 PWM chromax.black.swap -- why different ones? BECAUSE 2 OF THE NON-CHROMAX.BLACK ONES WOULDNT ARRIVE AT THE SAME TIME)

noctua fans as the ones that came with the CPU cooler were too thick.. 

image.png

Edited by Reptar
  • 3 months later...
On 2/17/2023 at 8:00 PM, Reptar said:

Chassis: RSV-L4500U

Chassis Fans: 3x Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120mm Fan

Motherboard: MSI MEG X399 CREATION

CPU: Threadripper 2990WX

CPU Cooler: NH-U12S TR4-SP3 (Originally purchased NH-U14S TR4-SP3 -- Didnt fit)

RAM: 8 x Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 8 GB DDR4-3000 CL15 (had 4 sticks from previous build, reused and purchased additional)

GPU: EVGA FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB (Originally ASUS GTX1060 -- 1080 actually fits better!)

PSU: Silverstone Strider 1500W 80+ Gold (Free from work many years ago)

NIC:  Mellanox MCX311A

HBA: LSI LSI00244 9201-16i (Upgraded to LSI 9300-16i -- Putting this in tomorrow!)

NVMe Expansion: ASUS ‎HYPER M.2 X16 GEN 4 Card

HDD Bay: 3 x Kingwin SSHD HD Enclosure Internal Five Hot Swap Bay (upgraded to SST-FS305-12G -- why upgrade? because SAS3 > SAS2)

Rack: SYSRACKS 12U? I dont actually recall which one it is! If you do look at SYSRACK racks, I 100% recommend. It's worth the price for an enclosed rack. I recently purchased a home and decided to go open rack ( 27U -- also going in tomorrow!) 

Current Array: 9 Drives, 1 Parity (90 TB Array) -- Still have 6 bays free. Eventually will upgrade parity to SAS drives and migrate the drives over to array.

Cache Pools: 2 x 500GB SN570 (Docker/apps) , 2 x 2 x Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB (Download cache/VM)

Overall, I would definitely like to go 3rd gen threadripper but the price was WAY too high at the time of purchase (still too high IMO)

I will likely go with an Asrock Rack board once I do upgrade though!

Primary Usecase: Nextcloud, Overseerr, Radar/Sonarr, Mastodon, Home Assistant -- Generally anything I want to use a computer for I will throw on BigChungus

What really started me on this was the video on LTT's channel where they demo'd a machine learning application utilizing an ASUS coral AI accelerator. Eventually I will 100% purchase one of those and will feed my current UI cameras into some program that identifies people (this requires more PCI lanes/ports than my current setup offers though -- sounds like I need more upgrades!)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, when I went from 32GB - 64GB RAM, I had to Purchase new 2 x 15MM ( 1 x NF-A12x15 and 1 x NF-A12x15 PWM chromax.black.swap -- why different ones? BECAUSE 2 OF THE NON-CHROMAX.BLACK ONES WOULDNT ARRIVE AT THE SAME TIME)

noctua fans as the ones that came with the CPU cooler were too thick.. 

image.png

How was the fit with the SST-FS305-12G in the L4500U? Did you need to use the rails or did they fit well without them?