looking for dual nvme for hp microserver gen10 plus

bluespirit

hello, i’ve searched the web and the cards available for my needs which i cant find in my country as “startech” as example. i need pools for my server and and i want it to be less power hungry, hp gen10 plus calles that they have bifurcation support of limitations and power usage and my concerns on  heating issues probably. i need a card with local bifurcation support, and i dont know what to look for and looking for advises. using g pentium and nothing much going on with my server as plex, pihole, etc

Edited by bluespirit
  • bluespirit changed the title to looking for dual nvme for hp microserver gen10 plus
2 hours ago, bluespirit said:

hello, i’ve searched the web and the cards available for my needs which i cant find in my country as “startech” as example. i need pools for my server and and i want it to be less power hungry, hp gen10 plus calles that they have bifurcation support of limitations and power usage and my concerns on  heating issues probably. i need a card with local bifurcation support, and i dont know what to look for and looking for advises. using g pentium and nothing much going on with my server as plex, pihole, etc

Perhaps something like this: Startech Dual NVME

They are less expensive on ebay, amazon but still not what I would call cheap.

Limmited bandwidth as PCI-E x4 however likely good for 2 x mid range SATA 3 NVME which are inexpensive and shouldn't need heatsinks.

If you search based on the switch chip 'ASM2824' some other cheaper results pop up.

• Like 1

My friends personally I would not buy the PLX etc PCIe expanders because of their high price mainly.

I did it and I was not happy with the performance for the TCO.

I was searching for when Linus said that sometimes you can use 4x nvme card in two of the slots and it works but didn't find it yet.

Meanwhile I found a hardware modding guide which really peaked my interest however I do not really plan to apply it myself.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1463027-say-no-to-the-paywall-of-pci-e-bifurcation/

Did you say the HP has the bifurcation options? And why do you need "local bifurication" ?

hello and thanks for the response. that pin modding is whole another level for me but took my interest too. my board supports bifurication in x8 mode and i want to achieve it locally for avoiding the extra chip and power usage of extra card. mainly i have four bays available and one of them is a ssd. so by having double nvme, i ll have an extra slot for another hdd and a cache pool. I have limited power supply and limited installation space in this setup which i am not really fond of. 

In this case when the motherboard already has the bifurcation in place, and the PCI-e lanes available by the CPU?, you can configure that in BIOS to enable the bifurcation needed.

In this case my suggestion is to populate the x16 PCIe- slot with an x16 to 4x nvme m.2 pci-e adapter, without chip on it. If it has a chip on it, it's probably a PLX/pci-e switch or a raid controller, which in this case is not needed and may not fit the power budget.

However it is Low Profiles so this would be the product

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32991136466.html?algo_exp_id=81ea77fe-7586-426c-887a-731e559848f7-27&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"66835179259"}

unless you can find even cheaper somewhere or 4x nvme on both sides

https://www.glotrends-store.com/river-p0080.html

there are other options out there,

Where do you prefer to ship from ?

Edited by GRRRRRRR
4x nvme on both sides low profole

it does support just x8+x8 bifurcation. i can order some of the products from amazon.de but choices are limited for my country. i did ask about riitop dual nvme which has chipset https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Adapter-RIITOP-Support-22110/dp/B08P57G1JW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1OIIHV44VFFXS&keywords=Dual+NVMe+PCIe+Adapter%2C+RIITOP+M.2+NVMe+SSD+to+PCI-e+3.1+x8&qid=1676822576&sprefix=dual+nvme+pcie+adapter%2C+riitop+m.2+nvme+ssd+to+pci-e+3.1+x8%2Caps%2C409&sr=8-3 to its producer and they responded me: 

“Generally, the card can work with motherboards with available x4/x8/16 PCIe slot. Bu.t we have not tested hp microserver gen 10 plus

Our customers tested Crucial P2, Kinston NV1, TeamGroup MP33, Western Digital SN350, Samsung 980, Samsung 970 EVO PLus, 1TB and 2TB cards.“. 

But why with PCI-e switch?

The x8/x8 should work like if you get a 4x nvme without PCI-e switch, the first and third nvme slots will work and the second and fourth will not work.

The quicksync acceleration is when the Intel CPU has an iGPU and the two can work together to do some media stuff. If you put a CPU that has quicksync in a desktop system then it may work in this system as well.