UPS recommendation that can do graceful auto-boot?

Taako

Hi all,

I'm tired of blackouts causing my unraid server to poweroff unexpectedly. I'm growing increasingly worried about data corruption too.

I want to invest in a UPS (budget ~$250 or less) that will not only allow me to gracefully shut down on power loss, but gracefully auto-boot when power is restored (and ideally, but not required, the UPS has at least X% battery). I know you can use the BIOS to auto-boot when power is applied but I want to make sure the UPS can handle that. Ideally it would be great if the UPS only applied power until it has some set battery %.

I was looking at UPSes and the Eaton 5S1500LCD looked like a winner (Eaton seems to get amazing reviews, not horror stories like with CyberPower or APC) but then i stumbled on this video and around 13:08 the reviewer says that if the computer attempts to boot the machine right after the ups regains power it will cause the computer to power cycle.

Are there UPSes that handle auto-boot like i want? Do you have your machines auto-boot when power is restored? What UPS do you recommend?

One thing that might work for me is just a raspberry pi to send Wake-On-Lan some time after power is restored. But i'd need to make sure the UPS is providing power to the machine by then. Do all UPSes have the ability to turn themselves back on and then provide power to the connected devices immediately when power comes back on?

Edited by Taako
15 hours ago, Taako said:

Do you have your machines auto-boot when power is restored?

No.

A power outage can be an unpredictable and possibly traumatic event for electronics. I want to be able to evaluate whether or not it's safe to start up again, and monitor the progress to make sure everything is responding as it should.

One feature I looked for in my UPS system was "pure sine wave" output.  The cheaper UPS systems produce a series of square waves to simulate a sine wave.

https://blog.tripplite.com/pure-sine-wave-vs-modified-sine-wave-explained

I have two APC SmartConnect UPS units.  I like their web interface for monitoring the UPS status, triggering self-tests, and sending email alerts when the power shuts off.  I've had one in my rack for 2 years and haven't had any issues.  I just bought and installed a 2nd one for my media center (TV, receiver, etc).

I personally think the pure sine wave and network connectivity are worth paying for.

I also don't have my server auto-start after power is restored.  I have my server set to stay on for 10 minutes running on UPS, and then shut off.  10 min covers all the "typical" power interruptions, anything longer is rare, and I'd want to evaluate the situation before powering the server back on.

Edited by C4RBON