kernel panic on boot

FreeMan

I have a feeling that this is a sign that I need to retire my old backup server...

I'm getting a kernel panic on boot on the machine:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

CPU: 1 PID: 1 Comm: sapper/0 Not tainted 5.10.20-Unraid #1

Hardware name: MSI MS-7641/760CM-P23(FX) (MS-7641)   , BIOS V17.9 03/23/2012

Call Trace:

dump_stack+0x6b/0x03

panic+0xff/0x2a1

mount_block_root_0x2fd/0x30c

? rest_init+0xaf/0xaf

prepare_namespace+0x131/0x160

? rest_init+0xaf/0xaf

kernel_init_0x5/0xfa

ret_from_fork_0x22/0x30

Kernel Offset: disabled

---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0) ] ---

Yes, this is old hardware.

No, the machine hasn't been on for a year or so, therefore the version of Unraid is old.

No, I won't be unreasonably sorry if I have to upgrade my primary server to pass its MoBo on down to my backup server.

However, if anyone has any idea about a possible recovery solution for this, I'm all ears.

I don't have diagnostics, since the machine hasn't booted fully for me to get to the GUI to run them. If there are any logs being written to the USB boot drive, I'm happy to pull them and post it here.

I'm attaching a photo of the last bit of what's on the display. Maybe there's an issue with the lines above and I may have a possibility of recovery?

2023-02-22 15.56.32.jpg

Thanks, @JorgeB. Been a bit busy, just now getting a chance to look at this again.

I presume you mean that I should backup the flash drive to another machine then rebuild on the same physical drive, then copy the config back over, and not (yet, at least) replace the drive itself.

Perusing this section of the manual for instructions.

Edited by FreeMan

Seems my USB stick has died. Plugged it into my Win10 machine, it beeps, noting that a USB device has been plugged in, but Win doesn't seem to be able to access it.

It's been at least a year since this machine has been powered on, I'm not sure I've got a backup of the config (my bad, I know...) I believe I should be able to identify the Parity from the Data drives by plugging them into a USB dock on my main machine - if I can read a file structure, it's a data drive, otherwise, it's parity, is that a reasonable assumption?

Once I've identified parity, I can transfer the license to a new USB stick and rebuild the array by assigning the parity drive, then the data drives, then build parity and all will (should) be good, right?

Of course, I could probably just clear the drives as a year-old backup isn't doing me any favors, either. :(

17 hours ago, FreeMan said:

Once I've identified parity, I can transfer the license to a new USB stick and rebuild the array by assigning the parity drive, then the data drives, then build parity and all will (should) be good, right?

Yes, and you can check "parity is already valid", assuming disks are all re-assigned as they were.

• Thanks 1

I've had 10000 other things going on and I'm just getting back to this (under a new account because of the change to the unraid.net login).

On 2/26/2023 at 10:26 AM, FreeMan said:

I believe I should be able to identify the Parity from the Data drives by plugging them into a USB dock on my main machine - if I can read a file structure, it's a data drive, otherwise, it's parity, is that a reasonable assumption?

Would someone please confirm that this assumption is correct? I've got a new USB stick built, and I've pulled 2 drives from the old machine.

When I mounted the first drive in a USB dock, it showed up in Unassigned Devices and offered me a chance to format the drive. I respectfully declined.

The second drive gave me an active "Mount" button. I mounted it and was able to see some of the old disk shares there.

In my mind, the first drive was the parity drive and the rest are, obviously, data drives. I just want to be sure I'm correct before booting the old machine on the new stick and rebuilding the array & parity.

I'm confused. I've built a new USB drive, booted the backup server off of it and transferred the license key to the new stick.

When I look at my unassigned drives, this is what I get:

image.png.b0ea1d56062a8b2a1f09e03c9987e4da.png

None of them give me the same thing I saw when I plugged a couple into my main server. None have a "Mount" button (enabled, disabled, or otherwise).

What am I missing here?

Realistically, I could go ahead and rebuild this completely from scratch and I don't think I'd loose much, as far out of date as my last backup was, but I'd like to understand what's going on, first.

1 minute ago, Free Man said:

I'm confused. I've built a new USB drive, booted the backup server off of it and transferred the license key to the new stick.

When I look at my unassigned drives, this is what I get:

image.png.b0ea1d56062a8b2a1f09e03c9987e4da.png

None of them give me the same thing I saw when I plugged a couple into my main server. None have a "Mount" button (enabled, disabled, or otherwise).

What am I missing here?

Realistically, I could go ahead and rebuild this completely from scratch and I don't think I'd loose much, as far out of date as my last backup was, but I'd like to understand what's going on, first.

You have not installed unassigned devices from apps