Multi-bay enclosures

I have been running with a multi-bay enclosure connected via USB-C. I know this has been strongly discouraged by the Unraid developers, but has been working surprisingly well with me.

I am about to buy a new enclosure and looking into USB-3.1, USB-3.2 and also SAS. I am wondering whether SAS would give me a substantial speed gain and whether it is even supported by Unraid? It is significantly more expensive, so curious whether this gives me a gain.

6 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

For my understanding, this not a true SAS enclosure, it just a cable extension to external box, so that's why connect 8 disks then need 2 SAS cables. All just use SAS socket / cable but nothing relate SAS. ( I may be wrong )

The RAID function just provide by the RAID controller,  nothing relate to enclosure.

BTW, you should see the disks, what disk type in enclosure SATA / SAS ?

image.png.035f36898996eb1a61795c3c1e6140cd.png

17 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

I won't be able to run Windows unless possible to do this within a Windows VM.

17:00.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: Broadcom / LSI MegaRAID SAS 2208 [Thunderbolt] [1000:005b] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Broadcom / LSI MegaRAID SAS 9286CV-8e [1000:9291]
    Kernel driver in use: megaraid_sas
    Kernel modules: megaraid_sas

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/42/devices/0000:17:00.0

Or passthrough the SAS controller ( group 42 )  to Windows VM then config it.

Edited by Vr2Io

Should be add each disk in individual RAID, not 100% confirm because never attach disk under Magaraid.

28 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

I am doing it through Bios now. Does this mean that this enclosure does not allow me to swap disks? Everytime I add / change a disk, I will need to go to Bios to set it up? That's quite disappointing. I don't plan to use any raid feature, but just use the controller to pass it through to Unraid.

Use HBA could solve this problem.

Edited by Vr2Io

Got it. I think I made some progress in the Bios.

I created a drive group with one disk and then created a virtual disk with the same name. This disk now shows up in Unraid.

It seems though that the disk is no longer formatted. It was formatted before, so seems it wiped this when adding in the Megaraid bios?

I have some other disks with data that I'd like to add. Assume this wouldn't work and it would delete all data on the disk?

Any way to add a disk without wiping data?