Should I add a GPU?

ks-man

I'm planning on updating my 10 year old WHS 2011 server to an unraid server soon.  It's older hardware but from my reading should work ok.  My main usage for the server will to run as a Plex Media Server and also to hold some backup files.  The hardware will be:

Intel Pentium G2120, ASRock H77 Motherboard, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Seasonic 620w Power Supply and for drives I'm adding a 500GB WD Blue SSD (for cache) and then will have two 12tb Seagate Ironwolf and 2 8tb drives (one Seagate and one WD Red).

I have an extra Nvidia GTX 970 that I'm not currently using (but may find use in the future).  Should I put it in the Unraid server?  Will it get any use or is the GPU not needed?  Thanks!

Edited by ks-man
add
1 hour ago, Gragorg said:

The server does the transcoding either CPU(very CPU intensive), Intel Quicksync, or nvidia GPU.  I also primarily use Roku boxes.  The vast majority of the time you will direct stream to your Roku so no transcoding needed.  If you share server outside your network is when it becomes a bigger issue.

I guess I'm a little confused.  Up until now I've used Kodi and added my pooled drive and streamed media that way.  I've only done it from my home network and never used my server when I was away from home.

The way I read your comment is that if I stream videos through the server inside my home network to either a Roku TV or a Windows PC it would be direct stream.  However if I connect to my server remotely and stream a video while I'm not at home then the video will be transcoded and thus needs better hardware.  Is that correct?

I guess I will connect my nVidia 970 regardless.  It isn't being used right now so probably no harm in having it connected so it is there if needed.  Probably will just mean a few additional settings so transcoding is offloaded to the GPU when needed.

Edited by ks-man

For the most part you are correct.  Transcoding is usually used to save bandwidth or convert the file if it is not supported by your player.  The graph included is my Users I am the second line.  Blue is transcoded media pink is Direct Stream (changes the file container) and red is Direct play (no transcoding at all).  You can see the second bar has almost no transcoding which is on local network.

usage.jpg