Error when changing array HD

Braulio
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Guys, I need help, I did something and I don't know which way to go!
I will explain in detail.

1) Step 1
I have two HD, being. 1 parity 4tb and 1 data disk 4tb.
The data disk started to show problems.
I did the following procedure to change.

1) Step 2
I connected a new disk to the motherboard and did not remove the current one.
I stopped the array and added the new disk (I didn't remove the old one). So I was left with two discs of dates in the array.
Then I realized that I did it wrong, because I need to remove disk 1 and put disk 2 in its place.

1) Step 3
I stopped the array and removed disk 2 from the array list (I selected the "no disc" option), but I didn't touch disk 1.
I restarted the server and turned on array.

1) Step 4
The files that appear in "shared" have a triangle on the icon.
I read on the unraid wiki they're not protected by parity, but they are there, nothing was deleted.

1) Step 5
I don't know what I should do right now!
My concern is if when I put disk 2 in, if new files were copied to it.
And what I need to do is swap disk 1 with disk 2.

Tks
Braulio

01.png

02.png

Edited by Braulio
15 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Disk1 shows some reallocated sectors but looks mostly OK, run an extended SMART test on disk1, if it passes do a new config with just parity and disk1, check parity is already valid and run a parity check.

I've been having trouble with Disk 1 for a long time. In this post you helped me understand and I came to the conclusion that I should change.

I do SMART test and said "Completed without error".
Initially I needed to change the disc 1 to disk 2.

If I stop array, remove the disc 1, and put the disk 2 in it's place, is it possible to redo parity or is not possible because it is invalid?

Edited by Braulio

First you must make the array valid again without disk2, so do a new config, keep all assignments, check that only parity and disk1 are assigned, check "parity is already valid" and start the array, since disk2 was never formatted parity should still 100% in sync, but run a parity check to confirm, if all OK then you can replace disk1.

5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

First you must make the array valid again without disk2, so do a new config, keep all assignments, check that only parity and disk1 are assigned, check "parity is already valid" and start the array, since disk2 was never formatted parity should still 100% in sync, but run a parity check to confirm, if all OK then you can replace disk1.

For do a new config I only need click "parity is already valid" and start the array?

I "run a parity check to confirm" after a new config? For test just click in Check?

Edited by Braulio
1 hour ago, Braulio said:

For do a new config I only need click "parity is already valid" and start the array?

After doing the new config (tools -> new config) and selecting keep all assignments.

1 hour ago, Braulio said:

I "run a parity check to confirm" after a new config? For test just click in Check?

Yes.

On 2/28/2023 at 12:30 PM, JorgeB said:

After doing the new config (tools -> new config) and selecting keep all assignments.

Yes.

JorgeB, I did the last step and now parity is ok.
Now, I need change disk1 to disk2.
On the Unraid website it says:

"Unassign the old drive if still assigned (to unassign, set it to No Device)"
I already connected the disk2 before power.
Now, I just need assign disk2 in place of disk1, or is need unassign (no device) before and restart server?

On 3/5/2023 at 8:16 AM, JorgeB said:

Just assign new disk to disk1 slot and start array, no reboot needed.

I did it today. Looks like it's all right. Parity is OK.

The old disk showed up under Unassigned Devices, and when I opened it, all the files were there.

The files are opening normally. Are they valid or could something be missing due to parity?

I'm going to use this HD for backup, so I thought I'd leave these files inside.