Machine Check Event

Go to solution Solved by Jason Berry,

Looking for some help please.

In the process of setting up a new unraid server (noob here) so please be kind..

I had loaded all my data and got parity set up, but needed to rearrange my data. The data was on a smaller and older drive which was starting to make some strange whinning noises, but passing SMART tests.

Having moved all my data, to a newer larger drive, when trying to reconnect my parity drive, my system won't boot. I've tried formatting the parity drive (booting from an ubuntu live usb) but still no luck, as soon as that drive is connected to the system, system just sits at the bios flash screen (and my motherboard boot error led is on)

I noticed that Fix Common errors shows "Machine Check Events detected on your server" so wondering whether that may be the cause. I think I've managed to collect download and attach the logs, but don't really know where to start.

Hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction please?

1. what do i need to do to get my system bootable with the parity drive connected

2. what is the best way to recalculate parity based on the relocated data/drive

Thanks in advance

tower-diagnostics-20230226-1052.zip

• Solution
19 hours ago, Squid said:
Feb 26 10:37:07 Tower  mcelog: failed to prefill DIMM database from DMI data

BIOS update might help on this, but it's harmless and ok to ignore

That's great, relieved there no major hardware problems. I turned my attention to cables and think it's the result of a SATA cable issue, swapped it out and my drive has reappeared. Just got data and parity drives back online so going through the parity sync process fingers crossed. thanks for your help