Can I reduce the size of my Docker image allocation?

arretx

So I made the mistake of not understanding the importance of mapping data outside of docker to a share when I first started, and as a result, ended up with a full docker image.  So I blew it and bumped it up to 200GB, which I've been reading might be super stupid big.  In fact, it is sorta super stupid big because I can't back up the image quickly.

So, I'm wondering if a) I can reduce the size safely, and b) how to determine how much space I actually need so I don't hose myself by reducing the size.  Ideas?  Thanks!

17 minutes ago, arretx said:

can reduce the size safely

17 minutes ago, arretx said:

how to determine how much space I actually need

https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Unraid_check_docker_script

SpaceinvaderOne also has some YouTube videos going into this topic. Look them up

Also, check container size button on docker page. It is helpful, but misses on some cases as mentioned in SIO videos

Edited by apandey

What about something like Zoneminder, which by default stores its events in the docker container itself, along with the instance of mysql that is automatically installed.  These two things were the first challenge I ever faced because my 20GB docker image limit was quickly reached because of the RTSP camera feeds.  I've since re-directed those feeds to the array, but not the mysql data, as I'm not sure how to do that.

3 hours ago, arretx said:

when you install zoneminder, it seems to have its own mysql instance in it...or I have no idea what's going on.

Which exact zoneminder image are you using

The one here seems to have mount points for config and data that you should be able to map into your appdata

https://github.com/dlandon/zoneminder.machine.learning

As per docs, the mysql and events data is also stored here. The unraid version of image has same mounts (but not same documentation) 

If you are using the unraid template provided by CA, it is already mapping to appdata

Screenshot_20230228_160903_Chrome.thumb.png.471c280962bc0dd49ea2f15d194074a0.png

Edited by apandey
Added template screenshot