Why so many Reads and Writes on Parity Sync?

ks-man

I just finished preclearing my drives and started a new Unraid array.  I have one 12tb parity drive and one 12tb data drive and then one 500gb ssd cache drive.  I just started the parity sync and it is only 1.5% done but there are a ton of reads/writes and I just want to make sure nothing is wrong.  When I watched tutorial videos most have far fewer reads and writes.  Is mine showing a different scale or is there some other reason I have so many and is it a problem?  Thanks.

reads-writes.jpg

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

The first time you build parity then Unraid will read every sector from every data drive and write every sector on the parity drive(s).

probably what you are thinking of is normal running when the number will be much smaller as you are then talking about changed sectors.

Thanks for the response.  I saw tutorial videos where it showed how to sync parity and then cut to later showing parity synced.  My guess is it was like you said not showing the true first sync.  

17 hours ago, ks-man said:

saw tutorial videos where it showed how to sync parity and then cut to later showing parity synced.  My guess is it was like you said not showing the true first sync

That will a very long and boring video. A 12TB spinning drive will usually take 12-24 hours to be completely written if no bottlenecks

BTW, I find it better to see read writes in MB/s rather than counts. The blue icon on top right can change what you see. That way, I know parity builds start at fastest speeds supported by my disk (around 250MB/s) and then tapers out (to about 150MB/s) as outer sectors are written. If I see that progression and range, I know things are going as fast as they can irrespective of elapsed time

Edited by apandey