Pause a parity rebuilt?

I am replacing a failed drive with a larger drive than my current parity. Old parity is 12TB, new Parity is 14TB and the failed drive was 6TB. That being said, the new parity will end up being the 14TB and the replacement for the 6TB will be the old 12TB parity. My question is, is there any way to Pause the parity rebuild and shut down the server to cool? I believe I am having an overheating issue that is causing my server to crash, and I would like to do the rebuild in increments if possible. What is the best way to monitor the CPU temperatures in Unraid, and will the server log record the crash if it is heat related? If the server crashes during the parity rebuild, will I lose data?

Edited by xdriver

There is an option to pause the parity build on the Main screen.   However if you shutdown the server Unraid will start the parity build again from the beginning on next boot.

if you install the Parity Check Tuning plugin then it has an option to restart the array operation from the point previously reached on the next boot.   However that functionality does rely on you achieving a tidy shutdown - are you managing that?   There are also temperature related options, but they are geared around the drive temperatures and not the CPU temperature so may not be of any use to you.

I don't happen to see a pause parity on the main screen, just a "cancel." I can run it for probably 10 hours and be safe to do a clean shutdown, but as it stands now, the server will just crash/shut itself off. Are there any plugins that monitor CPU temp and report in a crash log? Do drive temps get reported in a crash log? I have it set to save the log to the flash drive, but it crashed today at maybe around 10am and I do not see a .zip log right now. Any idea why that would be? I probably do need new hardware, but if it is something basic, I'd rather just repair it. 

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 5.17.53 PM.png

The heat is just an assumption, there was some question about USB ports being above voltage, but I have tested them all to be under 5 volts, more like 4.8. I was hoping there was a way to check the CPU temp while the server was running to either confirm or rule it out. 

• 2 weeks later...