I did not imagine that a SAS hba would use all that power

I bought some random used SAS hba, a Dell h310 already flashed to it mode

Before installing, my core i7 server was using 30w idle, now it's using 80w idle

And that hba chipset is HOT! I needed to strap a fan from an old athlon heatsink

I'm just testing, at the moment it's just two drives attached to the hba and two on the native motherboard

So maybe my idea of "a huge server with two hba and 20 drives" is less smart than i thought before. It's consolidating three servers but maybe instead of buying a pro license and do an all in one with a powerful and expensive CPU, it would have been better to have three low power servers, one for files, one for media, one for Dockers, with three lite licenses. Even a Celeron j4005 would have been fine for the media server, it's only me and i barely access it 

Also now i need to buy another h310 as a spare otherwise if it breaks i would have days and days of downtime 

Edited by Tipika
I checked which model i bought, added a point

uhmmm you make me worry...

maybe it's because of 4 extra hdd + the 5 fans in the case, then it becomes 50W in total? 20W from the drives, 15W from the HBA, 5W from the additional cpu load from the light disk activity, 10W from the fans

but it's normal that without a fan it becomes extremely hot, right? Like it can't be touched. Now with the fan it's cold.