What do you do with old failed drives?

I've accumulated a stack of old hard drives that started receiving errors over the years. I've decided there is no longer any point in keeping them and am curious what other people do with them.

Are you physically destroying them to make them unreadable?

Running it through several pre-clear cycles?

Just tossing them in some electronics recycling bin?

Other?

• A single full format on Win10/11 qualifies as a secure erase.
  • A single, full pre-clear cycle I believe would accomplish the same.
  • There are several other methods that I've read about for securely erasing (this assumes the drive works and will spin up, obviously).

According to mil/dod specs that previously required a multi-step days long process, securely erasing is no longer the onerous task it once was (as evidenced by a Win10/11 full format now qualifying).

After that, I normally print out a smart test for each drive and sell them as is for cheap. If the drive will not spin up, I will drill holes through the case/platters and drop it off for recycling.

I just started on my stack of old drives.

Edited by whipdancer
Just now, whipdancer said:

I will drill holes through the case/platters and drop it off for recycling.

What a waste! At least pull it apart and save the magnets, those things are extremely powerful, much fun, just don't get flesh between them or allow them to snap together, they can send fragments flying.

2 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

What a waste! At least pull it apart and save the magnets, those things are extremely powerful, much fun, just don't get flesh between them or allow them to snap together, they can send fragments flying.

I forgot about the magnets. May see about getting them if any in this stack are unusable.