Recomendations for the old system componates after converting to Unraid

I recently converted my old desktop to UnRaid.  All seems to have gone fine and will not be restoring the old desktop.

So I now have two SSDs that I would like to repurpose.

Samsung_SSD_860_EVO_1TB_S3Z8NB1KB01769P

Samsung_SSD_960_PRO_512GB_S3EWNX0JA07167B (nvme0n1)

The both have files I would like to keep so I know my first task is to back them up, but then what?  I have read conflicting info on adding SSD drives to the array (particularly as the main array are traditional spinners.) 

My current cache drive is a

WDC_WDS100T2B0A-00SM50_190235458402 (sde) should I add them to the cache array cluster?

Or should I just pull them out of the system and put them in my current desktop?

I also have an old Nvidia 1060 not currently being used should I add that to my system and use for GPU Pass through? (I currently have one 1060 in there already and have not attempted Pass through  or trans-coding beyond default plex setups)

Hi,

Do you have critical workloads and data on the unRAID or only non critical so far?

860 Evo 1TB sata3 - good for non critical media stuff such as running containers and VMs off of it, since it will probably not fail soon / in general I think this is better than the WD blue you mentioned (WDC_WDS100T2B0A) .,  but haven't looked in depth.

960 PRO 512GB nvme - good for cache, vms and dockers if you feel like accelerating some things, will probably not fail soon. Keep an eye on smart and reduce writes if they become too much (maybe choose either burn it out for cache/ or for vms and dockers only)

If you put them in current Desktop you can StorageSpaces and ReFS them together to get combined space and nvme speed without parity protection, to use for non critical fast storage such as Program Files and 'Media Scratch' if you are a creator ( I assume you use MS on the Desktop)

Back that up to the unRAID in case something burst into flames (such as the filesystem versions with Windows OS different versions if you ever try to use older OS.)

The second 1060 passthrough that could be used if ever need to have a guest use a PC for guest PC for example.

A VM with a GPU can also be connected to a movie watching screen. The GPU also has digital audio output through the HDMI...  

Alternatively, the second GPU can reencode more streams if you share with friends, maybe with some TV stuff.

It really depends how you really want to use your systems for your goals.

• Like 1