Economic Motherboard

Nasp

Hello folks

Recently i have discover this great software, and now i want to build my unRaid Server for substitute my two NAS and my usb disks... :)

The question is, what is the Mobo/Processor more economic in terms of watts ? For build a green server... (all my hard disks are green)

An Atom based Mobo is more economic than any other Mobo + Processor ?

From the  Hardware compatibility list, i think the GIGABYTE GA-D525TUD (with more two sata ports from pci card), is a great deal for build my server. Opinions ?

Unfortunately that Gigabyte motherboard uses the Realtek 8111E NIC, which has known compatibility problems with unRAID.  I would recommend against that motherboard.

Supermicro makes some great Atom boards, as well as LGA 1156 and 1155 boards (which support first and second gen i3 CPUs).  I would recommend a Supermicro board if any are available to you.  See my prototypes thread (link in my sig) for some specific suggestions.

Thanks Rajahal, your post is one of the first that i already view!

The must important is the electric power... i want a server that consumes 20 or 30w in idle. (all 4 or six drive spun down) I think this is possible only it a Atom board or one Amd Zocate board. One AMD Sempron + one dedicated board i think it consumes more than 40w in idle... correct ?

@neilt0 one server like yours is my objective. Great!!!

I have five green hard disks, maybe six or seven (it cache) is the number of hard disks that i want to put in my future server.

We need a topic here in the forum only it the Server vs Watts, it is very important for a green planet :)

Archived