Data disk replacement for a small one (from 8 tb to 4 tb)

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hello great unraid users!

Im into a delema here, few weeks ago my unraid setup was:

PARITY 1 - 8 TB IRONWOLF DISK

DATA 1 - 4 TB DISK

DATA 2 - 4 TB DISK

DATA 3 - 4 TB DISK

DATA 4 - 4 TB DISK

DATA 5 - 4 TB IRONWOLF DISK *ATENTION TO THIS DISK - I HAVE ONLY 1.14 TB USED IN TO THIS DISK)

the data 5 disk starts to displayng erros, so, i bought a new 8 TB disk few weeks ago that i planned to use as second Parity drive, but since the disk 5 starts to display errors i replaced the disk 5 for this new 8 tb disk and the swap procedure was fine, i did and did a parity check after that completed all fine.

So, now i discover that the problem that causes the data 5 disk read errors was the cables.. after i removed all and dick a good cable cleaning all fine now, and i want to put back the iron wolf 4 TB disk as data 5 disk replacing the 8 TB one.

After i sucessfull replace the data 5 disk from 8 TB to the old 4 TB one i will put the new 8 TB disk as parity 2.

Its possible?

Causes i stoped the array i try to replace the 8 TB data 5 for the 4 tb one and unraid says that i cannot causes the disk is smaller than the actual one, but i have only 1.14 tb of data in this disk.

Anytips ?

Thanks in advance

Ronan

I have an idea to stop the array, and do a new config, keep the original parity 8 tb disk, and replacing the data 5 8 tb disk for the 4 tb one, this can works withotu any data loss?

An important point is that the old data 5 disk 4 TB is intact when i removed from the array i did nothing with him, so all the data is there, but its not updated, causes after i did the change for the data 5 - 8 tb disk i used my shares and something new files was created and few ones changed.

Thank you Jorge!

I upgrade my license for basic yesterday, now i can attach until 12 disks :D

So here we go

1 stop the array

2 copy files from actual 8 tb to the old 4 tb disk

3 go to settings and clear the config, and setting up a new config

On this new config i need to keep the same disks order and just on the data 5 i select the 4 tb old disk 

The "parity is valid" option needs to be activated or now?

after i just need to start the array?

Other question, when i made the new setup i need to put the actual 8 tb disk as parity 2 or no, i need to sawp the data disks before, sync the parity and after everything is fine, i stop again and add the 8 tb as parity 2 and start the array to build the parity 2 ?

thanks

Ronan

9 minutes ago, Ronan C said:

The "parity is valid" option needs to be activated or now?

No, parity won't be valid, it will sync after array start.

9 minutes ago, Ronan C said:

Other question, when i made the new setup i need to put the actual 8 tb disk as parity 2 or no, i need to sawp the data disks before, sync the parity and after everything is fine, i stop again and add the 8 tb as parity 2 and start the array to build the parity 2 ?

If all data is already copied to the 4tb disk when you do the new config you can assign the 8TB to parity, at array start both parity drives will then be synced, any data on those drives will be deleted.

• Solution
34 minutes ago, Ronan C said:

1 stop the array

2 copy files from actual 8 tb to the old 4 tb disk

How will you access the 8TB if the array is stopped?

With the array started, you can mount the old 4TB disk as an Unassigned Device and copy files to it.

Then you can New Config with the 4TB in place of the 8TB and rebuild parity.

Ok thank you guys, i started the data copy with array started.

I used the file manager that i have instaled on my unraid:

image.png.c7aa6379fd7eaea09f8b43586ef0e785.png

Copy is fast causes its just 1.14 tb of data, i marked the option overwritten the files.

When finished i will stop the array and do the swap, thank you all!