Last Smart Test result: Completed read failure

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi folks, I run out of space so I decided to used an old drive, which I added to the array.

I have 4 Norco 500 in my server case, using two fully of them (10 drives) at the moment so I added the disc to an empty Norco.

Unassigned devices reported 2 pending sectors, then pending sector returned to 0.

I cleared the disk, formatted it and added it as drive 10. Then a while later reported read error, and 422 pending sectors which kept rising to 1455.

I have attached a deep smart test, is the drive on its way or is an issue with the Norco, or an issue with the cable connection?

Only this drive on the Norco cage and I am having these issues.

tower-smart-20230303-2014.zip

• Solution

Any drive that fails the Extended SMART test should be replaced. 

In addition having pending sectors (let along lots of them and the number increasing) is a bad thing as that would prejudice the error-free recovery of any other drive that failed.

Neither of the above should be affected by cabling as they are internal to the drive.  Power issues might cause problems but I doubt that is the issue - I would think it is the drive itself that is the problem.